Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

627 Yeoman Valve seats??????

Bunky

If the valve seat is loose in the block you will have to have it re-bored .005 over and install a new seat, I don't know about the peening, but Iv'e heard it does work. The way I had one fixed on a Onan was to re-bore the block .005 over, heated the block put the seat on dry ice, the seat was .006 over, then it was driven in with a seat set. Good luck, Floydster

On a Briggs you can remove the seat by hand and a simple seat puller. By hand you can cut the bore with a special tool for a new seat...Woody

Hello I picked up a 627 this weekend and I tried to get it started but no compression well it didn't have no clearance in the valves so I took the valves out and the exhaust seat is loose is there a fix????????

Bunky You can peen around the seat to tighten seat in the bore. You should buy a repair manual if you are going to be doing this work yourself...I don't have a manual with me now to show you.. You peen around the perimeter at three points with a center punch which expands the metal against the seat. ( Are you sure the seat is good? If not you should replace at this time anyway ). With a flat punch you peen over the edge around the perimeter of the seat... This is what I remember. I don't know how many times this can be done if it was done before... Woody

Hi, If the seat is very loose, has ran loose, you are not likely to be able to fix it by punching. The block will need to be cut oversize and an oversize seat used. There are 2 reasons they come loose: 1. Mowing or equivalant at 1/2 throttle. 2. Fins plugged with grass, dirt, etc. To put them back and "punch them in" you need to catch them before they have hammered the block out. Good luck, Al E.

Hi, If the seat is very loose, has ran loose, you are not likely to be able to fix it by punching. The block will need to be cut oversize and an oversize seat used. There are 2 reasons they come loose: 1. Mowing or equivalant at 1/2 throttle. 2. Fins plugged with grass, dirt, etc. To put them back and "punch them in" you need to catch them before they have hammered the block out. Good luck, Al E.