Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Can't identify steering assembly part, A/C B 112

Jag_boi

Hi all;

I need some help identifying and locating a steering assembly part for my 1968 Allis Chalmers B-112. Between the base of the steering wheel and the console/dash is a broken plastic "collar" or "cowl" which covered the exposed steering shaft. This piece when in tact would add stability to the steering column by eliminating any wobble in the steering wheel much like a bushing. I have looked in the exploded diagrams of the steering assembly found in the service manual, and in similar if not identical drawings on line at the Parts Tree and Jacks Small Engine websites. None of these drawings show anything resembling this part. I'm at a loss for what to do to identify it, let alone find or fabricate a replacement. I keep wondering if I'm missing anything obvious?

If so, please clue me in! A part number and name would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

quote:Originally posted by BLT

Welcome to the club. To help you out, download this book as this should be the sister tractor based on your description. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/heCBEN8aqN7rE4CNj5kbp796Dq.pdf

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks. For what ever reason, some of the drawings in this manual are a bit clearer than the ones in the A/C manuals. That said, my nearest guess is that the part I'm looking for is listed as the Steering Shaft Assembly (marked in the front wheel and steering diagram as AP). The Simplicity part number is 157259. However, the drawing is so basic that the part of the assembly I need doesn't show as part of the shaft assembly.I suspect that I will have to get clever and see if I can fabricate a similar piece out of PVC pipe or something along those lines. There is a clearer drawing (figure 9 on page 6) which also does not really show the plastic collar piece I'm looking for, so I'm guessing that fabrication is the only way to solve the problem and get rid of the minor wobble in the steering column. Many thanks. Great and useful site. Happy to be a supporting member!Cheers!Daniel

The drawing I have of a 3112H shows ref.# N set collar part No. 9021010 w/set screw ref. AN part No.713502 then ref.# BV steering bushing

part No.157077 then below the bushing is ref.# BQ snap ring part no. 154264--I no longer have the tractor so I can't look to be certain.

The plastic collar is exclusive to the Allis models. The Simplicity equivalents did not have them. Kind of like the seats and grill trim, etc. They will not be found in a Simplicity manual. The AC part number for the collar is 2026952. If an AGCO dealer were to accidentally have one on their shelf it may be under 72026952 but you would be highly unlikely to find a new one. They can check a dealer locator to see if anyone shows to have one on hand. If not you will have to find a good used one as they have not been produced for probably three decades. This is a superficial part only. If you have too much slop it sounds like the bushing below it is worn on the outside edge where it fits within the dash. That bushing is available new, 2157077SM. Its pricey at over $50.

I have the same with one of my B-112s.  I just pulled apart a Simplicity 3310 and it looks like the same setup as the B-112.

I have been unable to get the steering wheel off to look at it though.