Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

sovereign mower deck roller bar repair

gravey72

Ive been repairing these fairly easy. I remove the roller bar and rollers. Cut the old bar off the bracket. Use a 5/8" hole saw to drill the old bracket where old rod went thru. Tractor supply sells a 48" length of 5/8" solid rod, need to cut maybe 2" off. Weld new rod onto old bracket, drill a hole at each end for cotter pins and youre done(almost). Didn't know if its ever been covered before but I know most roller bars are missing at least 1 end if not 2. Ive been filling the middle all the way across and not using any washers or cotter pins in the middle, only on the ends

Forgot to add the price, tractor supply sells the rod for $13.99, I thought it was very fair. I too noticed oem prices well over $100, so I started thinking... Sometimes I try to think but nothing happens...

Make sure you add a weld to the one side to keep the bar from spinning. If the bar spins it will wear a break point at the supports fairly quickly. Been there...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a oem  one on the shelf, I took some measurements since some people may not know the oem measurements if theyre missing the ends. Total length is about 45-1/4", 7-1/2" on one side of welded bar, about 38-1/4" other side of bar. Bar is about 3/8" thick but I'm assuming you have that! Hope that helps

'

Shouldnt have to use a hole saw.  I just cut the bar off the welded side of the bracket and then grind into the bracket a little till the weld is gone and it pops right out of the bracket. Then just weld the new rod in on the same side. Just have to use a square and clamp everything good so when you weld the rod in the bracket stays perpendicular to the rod.

10 hours ago, Brettw said:

Gary, kinda looks like a Cinemascope tractor there!   (The young guys won't have a clue what that means:))

I guess, conversely, that if I get the Cinemascope that makes me an old guy. :(