Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Opinions wanted, Cub Cadet 122

arnoldir

Hello all, I'm going yellow, Cub Cadet 122. 12HP Kohler, gear drive, new 10.5" wide Ag tires and IH wheel weights, Snow Blade, fresh paint and decals. Sounds fair at $600. Any Cub owners out there ? What should I check for? I've got a 1962 IH Scout and it needs a stablemate. Thanks.

Well, since no one else responded I guess I will. I may be shunned as this is not really the site for Cub advice. First off I love my b-210, but my Cub Cadet 1450 is a much more comfortable machine to use. It is hard to beat the 3 power take off points on the AC/simp stuff though. I also have a Cub 127. The 122 you found sounds good. Does the fresh paint look good? I have seen some really lousy paint jobs on tractors. The price seem fair too considering the extra's, the cubs can bring a good buck. As far as what to look for, there is nothing special. The kohler motors hold up well but obviously it should run good with no smoke. The gear drive as well as the Cub hydro's were pretty bullet proof. The steering on the Cubs is usually loose, if it is still tight thats a plus, if it is loose it can be fixed. There are some cool accesories for the gear driven cubs like this 122. A creeper gear (basically a hi/low) and a rear pto (shaft output like the big boys), both pretty desirable and pricy. Basically they are good solid machines, I personally do not think the cut quality from the cub decks is all that great. But as far a the tractor goes they are great. I would not sell my 1450 for any amount right now but that is mostly because I have an excellent condition Johnson loader on it. Well I hope this helps at least some, Rob

Hey Woody, That shure is a gem in the rough, I like the fact it has the PTO. It's in the wrong direction though. I have to go up to western Mass to pick up a sweepster for my Gravely rider, and the Cub is along the way. Wife knows about the sweepster and approved the trip, I'm planning on bringing my daughter so my wife will have to yell at both of us when we get back. My kid is 3 1/2 and has been helping me turn wrenches since she was 2. She had my wife in stitches when last weekend, I loaded some old unfinished projects on the trailer to scrap them, and when I explained what I was doing she said " but daddy we can fix them up and use them" It must be a genetic defect I passed along.

I was kidding about being shunned. The gear driven cubs make great pullers! If you do plan on bidding on the ebay Cub it does not have the rear pto. The thing sticking out the back is the lift arm. At first look I thought it had the pto also but that is to high. A closer look shows it is the lift. It would be a great deal with the pto, it alone with all the assosiated parts can go for $200 plus. Rob

Had a 126 12 hp. I must admit it felt more sophisticated than my Landlord, was certainly heavier too. Had to fix the steering slop cause the ends of the linkage rods were shot and adjusted the sector. They have great steering if kept in good shape. Their clutch is a little primitive and I prefer the belt system on the Simplicity. It's easier to "feather" if you need to. Cub decks dont mow nearly as good as the Simplicity, for that matter I dont know of any other brand that does. Dick

Thanks to those who responded, and I don't expect anyone to shun you Rob. I'm still very happy with my Simplicity machines, I just "needed" something to take to the local garden tractor pulls, and it seemed that a Cub was a good choice. Everything that might break can be bullet proofed with aftermarket parts, and the idea of someday building an Alky burning super stock with 60+ HP appeals to me. However, if I can find a local pull that allows twin cylinder machines, my 6216 will be out there. Besides, I'm a firm believer in having a tractor for every attachment type, maybee a tiller on a B series and a loader on a 4040. Happy tractoring.

If you're going to use the machine as a puller. Spend less. After all the modifications there won't be any point worrying about the condition of the machine presently. If you're going to stay stock then maybe go for the tractor you're looking into. You're wasting money buying a good looking machine. You'll be changing most of the drivetrain components once you leave stock class. If you buy an ugly one no matter what you do won't make you feel guilty cutting and welding the tractor...Here's puller material on Ebay currently at $76.00..Woody http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_602a4b7eec40595603757ea720/i-1.JPG