Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
LesH

Rear Wheel Steering.....

MikeES
I have driven a Sunstar with them, and my B2400 Kubota has them >>> not much use or value. They were useful on Ag tractors with a narrow front end, especially culivating and mowing. My nickels worth. Mike S.

Kent
When I was using a wide-front farm tractor a lot, growing up, I found that the individual rear wheel brakes were most valuable for "traction control" -- if one wheel wanted to spin, you pressed that brake lightly and transferred the power to the other rear wheel... I wish these garden tractors had a true diff lock that you could lock in when you get in those situations... Never found individual brakes of much use for steering, though....

RickS
My grandfather had a garden tractor (Sorry I was too young to me impressed with the brand.) that had individual brakes for the rear wheels. When turning, if you used the brake on the inside rear wheel, the tractor would turn much faster and sharper. Only tried this on grass, no pavement around just 10 acres of grass that was my job to cut.

JeffG
I use my individual brakes on my PowerMax's all the time. It is especially useful when plowing snow to make turns. Steering would be about impossible on ice/snow without them. I also use them mowing and making turns up a hill; to keep the inside wheel from spinning and tearing up the turf. In my opinion, the individual brakes are very useful. I noticed Mike mentioned that they are useless on his Kubota 2400 - that's because they are not even possible to use. The hydro pedal and brakes are on the same side - rendering the individual brakes useless (unless you've got a second right leg). Jeff

DaveM
Basically, rear wheel brakes are only useful if you have a heavy load on the rear of your tractor, which takes weight off of the front and results in less traction for the front wheels and steering. When this happens the rear wheels tend to force the front end in a straight path. Use of individual brakes then aids in steering by slightly stopping the forward momentum on one side of the tractor and allowing it to grip and turn in that direction. I doubt that individual brakes would be beneficial when using a loader because the weight is already on the front tires. Ag-type tires on the front may be your best option (Kent has done this and seems to like his results). DaveM

MikeES
BTW - the Sunstar does have a differential lock pedal. Jeff is right, with the foot control hydro the brakes are useless on my B2400 Kubota (except as a parking brake), but it does have a pedal for diff. lock. Mike S.

JeffG
Mike, How about cruise control? Can you use the individual brakes on your 2400 if you set the cruise - or will the cruise automatically shut off when you touch the brake (like a car)? Just wondering ... Jeff

MikeES
Jeff, yes I can use the brakes if I have the cruise set. I have the bi-speed turn on my tractor, works great at slow speed it will really bring the tractor around quick. But at higher speed it will tear up the grass. BTW - Bi-speed turn is that the front wheels will spin faster (in 4WD) when the steering is turned more than 15 degrees. Mike.