Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Ron_B

4041 Throttle

Ron_B
Ihave a little problem with my throttle control.Like it is driveing me nuts.(dont have far to go anyway) There seem to be a little triagle plate that throttle and i think govener spring are attatched to.I keep trying to ajust the T-cable but that little plate with one bolt in it comes loose. Cant find a way to keep it snug.I feel lock washer under it.I end up with half throttle when i an trying to work and load out snow.Plus the govener spring just seems to be lying there doing very little. HELP---Ron B thanks.

JeffG
Ron, Thinking of more as we go along here. Make sure you have an original governor spring (correct Onan part). I have seen everything from a garage door spring to a ball-point pen spring (well - those may be a slight exaggerations) used on these governors. Good place to start is to buy the correct spring from Onan (probably cost you about 50 cents - (oh wait, an Onan part) - make that $4.00. The Onan service manual gives you pretty good starting points and information for proper set-up of the governor parts. I don't think they give you a throttle linkage length. Make sure its long enough to allow proper idle. There shouldn't be any tension on the governor spring at idle. I think once you mess around with it and run the tractor, you'll figure it out pretty quickly. You'll know it when you go the wrong way. Caution: if you disconnect the throttle linkage at the carb. (while the engine is running) - keep a finger on the carb. linkage - it will fall wide open (and it will make you jump!). Jeff

JeffG
Ron, I guess I can take a crack at this one. I think your best solution is to look in the manual and adjust it to specs (to start with). That triangular plate you are referring to is supposed to be slightly loose to allow movement when throttling up or down and governor operation. When you have the throttle wide open, that plate should be about 1/8" from the throttle cable clip plate. It sounds like maybe your throttle cable stop is not tight and allowing the cable to slide through. The other critical adjustments here are the governor spring tension and the throttle linkage length. You have to monkey around and find the "sweet spot". Minor adjustments to the governor spring tension and throttle linkage length can make a big difference. Sounds like you need more tension on the governor spring (to allow proper governor operation) for sure. My set-up entails driving the tractor up a steep hill and under (PTO) load - you'll know right away if your governor is working (or adjusted) properly. I carry a 3/8" wrench in my pocket to make quick "field" adjustments during the initial set up. There should be very little RPM difference from no load and under load (maybe 200 RPM drop when under load) and also heading up a hill vs. traveling down. If the engine bogs going up and over rev's coming down - you need more spring tension on the governor. But, don't forget about the throttle linkage length also (one turn (shorter or longer)) can make a difference. One final thing to check is to be sure that everything is free and clear and not binding up on something. Sometimes the hose out of the crankcase breather can interfere with the operation of the throttle linkage. I hope that helps and wasn't too confusing. Good luck. Jeff

Ron_B
Jeff-Thanks a lot for the information.I guess i will just have to play around with it and see if i can come close.It sure helps us new guys to get help.I may have started this tractor fun a little to late in life.But it sure is a joy. Thanks again ---Ron B