Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Brake Lining or Replacement

MercerRec

Part # is 1679354SM and its NLA.   Pretty sure Brake Clutch & Drum Service, Inc. in MKE could reline this, but it has a curl to it.  I took some of the twist out of, but it looks a little out of round.  What do you guys think?  Reline or replace?

unnamed.jpg

Hello I have relined a brake band like this with brake lining from McMaster Carr (see link) It comes flat so I wrapped it around a quart paint can  with a hose clamp to give it a circular shape. I then used an adhesive called E-6000 ,that is sold everywhere ,and a couple of brass rivets It works well  and is worth the effort.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#6175k811/=14ihv43

Thanks Ken in Mi

• Like 4

10 hours ago, maxwood said:

Hello I have relined a brake band like this with brake lining from McMaster Carr (see link) It comes flat so I wrapped it around a quart paint can  with a hose clamp to give it a circular shape. I then used an adhesive called E-6000 ,that is sold everywhere ,and a couple of brass rivets It works well  and is worth the effort.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#6175k811/=14ihv43

Thanks Ken in Mi

A clear and concise repair description. Thanx, Ken!

A little twist or out of round will not hurt it either.  Striaghten it out as best as you can and it will be fine.  And relining I think would be the way to go as it will likely be rarely used with the Hydro.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to close this out with a some details.  I ordered the brake lining from McMaster Carr, it was under 4 bucks for a foot and was easy to trim to length and width using a utility knife.  Shipping was around 7 bucks so keep that in mind if you dont have anything else to order.  I glued the lining on with a general purpose adhesive and made a few aluminum rivets to secure the ends, but the rivets were probably unnecessary.  

If someone else uses your tractor, as in my case, this is a very easy repair and ensures a working brake pedal.

The only thing about rivets is metal to metal rubbing . With todays adhesives, I wouldn't worry about the rivets, and if you look at brake shoes wit rivets, the rivet heads are counter sunk for that purpose..

For sure metal on metal contact on the drum would be undesirable.  I use an old 1/4" end mill cutter chucked in a drill to relieve the inside of the liner to allow for a nice installation that recess the rivet head.  If you remove the pull-pin from an aluminum pop rivet, you can pean over the "pull" side of the rivet with a punch and drift.   You can also use side cutters to customize the length as needed.   But, as mentioned the rivet is prob overkill.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 3:12 PM, Kent said:

Wonder how leather would work as a lining here - people reline their cone clutches with leather...

I know your job is done, but thought I would share for others.
I used leather on my 210 brake (middle tractor in my lineup). Glued it on with epoxy. Has worked great over the years. I used leather because I had it on hand, and I'm cheap! :)

Brake Band.JPG

Edited by Hick
Adding info

• 4 years later...

Old and all is covered but I'm chiming in.  McMaster Carr lining is how I do my Wheel Horse brakes too, same ol' same ol' on them, now fixing to redo this 916H. 

On mine I simply clean band and cut lining to fit, grab epoxy of choice and get'r glued in place. Now' I set the park brake "ON" for about 24hrs and I'm done!  Let the brake hold/mold it to the band is easiest way I found.

I get a real epoxy that has a bit of flex I think works best, MY OPINION?  Nothing to get brittle as it hardens/cracks but not real rubbery or silicone (saw that once) cause its too soft and the pad moves and falls off sooner or later. Its been a few yrs so I'm sure there's better glue out today but I used a 2 part epoxy on them. Most likely one of JB Welds formulas?

So far I've met all stops and I have good size hills I tested it on, its good lining. I'll measure mine tomorrow and get things ordered up, I did see its much more narrow than Horses brakes but all manuals there?

Even on a hydro I'm still fix'n mine cause me likes me tractors right.  No' that brakes there in case the hydro suddenly runs away with your arse you can do more than just curse loudly.:o  Mechanical things break daily and almost 1k in weight its more safety for others here imho. Thanks All!

Edited by OldTractorHound

I use semi metallic thats woven together for my tractors, holds up longer, great luck over the yrs with 6224K341 High-Strength Brake and Clutch Lining. I have big hills so with manual trans Wheel Horse my tractors wear brakes easily unlike Hydro tractors. Most Cub owners use the same. Just ordered more for my 916H as its brakes are gone. Got from McMaster Carr. 

1- Metallic or semi metallic (pressed & molded ingredients).

2-Woven or Sewn non metallic materials. 

Just adding info for next member to process... Peace

• Thanks 1

Received this answer from McMaster Carr this morning but this site wont let me add/edit my last posts, feels I'm taking this thread over, sorry not meaning too. If anyone can merge my posts/info feel free to let'r rip I'm easy..lol  

==========From them========

"I attached the manufacturer's spec sheet for the Gemini Woven brake liner (6224K341). We buy this from Scan Pac Manufacturing as their part number TXWRL-0.1875X1.0000-CUT and the country of origin is the United States. As we mention in the catalog, this can be riveted or bonded. If bonded, the manufacturer recommends a two-part epoxy like our part 66195A13."

I am sorry we can't verify if this will work for your garden tractor. 

McMaster Carr

===========

Now' I assume over legality reasons now days but my first reply stated they're not allowed to recommend any materials to us.  They did say here cause I asked what we should use on tractors in wet/muddy conditions and I pushed a bit saying they don't show their product uses in details well enough like wet/mud/heat/cold/oil locations so' it must be some China made product they're selling us now as they're who keeps info secretive therefore McMaster Carr don't know their products either. 

I got the above back today..lol   Its the same lining as I used on others but being a few yrs I was really just checking to see if some better lining came along, seems it hasn't. The epoxy he says to use here was a nice bonus so' I posted it here in hopes this helps others, mainly since I had to poke the bear a tad to get it..lol  I just copy pasted their reply here but left the persons name out so they don't get into trouble recommending materials to us. 

Thanks All!!