Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler K341 carburetor issue

TheLawnMowerMan

I'm having some troubles with my K341 carburetor. I have rebuilt the carb, and replaced the float, but the same problem. It runs fine at first, then gas starts to run out the mouth of the carb and the engine starts to sputter and die. Also gas still runs out of the carb after it completely dies, which makes me think the float, but its new and adjusted correctly. So I thought maybe something got trapped in the needle. I pulled the carb back off and inspected it, and there was nothing. I was wondering if anyone ever had a problem with the manual pump forcing too much gas into the carb? Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Did you replace the needle and seat? It sounds like it might not be holding. An easy to test this is holding the carb upside down and blowing into the fuel inlet. You shouldn't hear anything or feel the pressure leak out. (use your lungs). 

If that works then bypass the pump, gravity will supply the carb with enough gas and see if it has the same problem. 

We haven't had this problem on the 16 yet the kt17 had a flooding/adjustment problem and we followed all the above steps to find a highly corroded main jet that we replaced. ( the needle and seat were replaced first as they were bad too)  

I did replace the needle, the seat isn't replaceable. I also tried to bypass the fuel pump and the engine wouldn't run at all. 

Have you inspected the Jets? We had a main jet that was very bad and the motor ran very rich. If that doesn't work I might have to ask Dad, he is really good with carbs. Worst case option put the old float back in and see what happens. I rebuilt a LawnBoy carb for Grandpa and the float was rubber and starting to break down that was fun to find out what was wrong. It would starve and then flood out.

The old float had a leak and would fill up with gas and the carb would run over similar to the issue I am having now. I'm going to pull the new float off and check to make sure the level is still set correctly. Will post later when I get it off. Thanks for all the ideas.