Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Confused again! (still?)

PatRarick

The Homelite discussion cleared up, and created, a lot of confusion. Now Simplicity has me confused. I purchased a 3210V for parts a few years ago. Since that time, and according to the X-referance, the 3210 crosses to an AC B-210. I see on the home page, that Simplicity for 1971, Landlord, clearly shows 3210 on the hood. Shouldn't this be a 3310? I came across this while trying to research another question. There is a Simplicity Baron 3414S on e-Bay. I knew that the Sovreign and the Landlord were the same machine during these years, except for the engine. Where did the Baron come in? The tractor for sale is also the same machine as the Sovreign. I could only find a 3414H in the cross referance table, but no 14 horse anywhere else in the Simplicity line for these years. I'm lost again. Pat[A href='http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2005815899']http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2005815899[/a]

Pat, I think you may have discovered pictures of a "test mule" or "prototype" with the wrong decals on it. From everything I've read, 1971 models and only 1971 models were 3300 series. I certainly could be wrong.... The Baron came into the picture with an engine and features somewhere between the Landlord and the "top of the line" Sovereign somewhere around 1974, but I'm not sure exactly where. The name didn't seem to last long, before they went to the 7000 numbering system....

The Baron name was still being used on the 7000 series into the late 70's . I know this becuase I had one.Seems that that one was a 12 HP Kohler powered unit. The 10HP was the Landlord and the 16HP was the Sovereign. Its a HP thing. A lot of time you cant go by the photos in th sales literature as Simplicity and AC had a habit of"doctoring" older photographs in their liteature rather than going out an taking new ones. I've even seen one where it looked like a 700 series photo had been altered by pasting in 900 series headlights an grill so it could be used in a 900 series piece of literature.

I own a 1974 3414S Baron. Exactly as the e-bay tractor. It has a 13hp B&S 30 cu.in. It is exactly like a sovereign but with the narrow rear tires like a landlord. The Baron had a cream colored hood and wheels vs. the Sovereign gray The 3300 were made only 1 year 1971. The 3300 was the newer chassis but with the jackshaft for the mower deck (no cone clutch). It was the last year for the vari-drive. I have a 3314V that I use as pulling tractor. The 14hp was the 32 cu. in. B&S. The 3400 started in 1972 and went through 1975 and then turned into the 7000 series. Hope this helps. Good Luck! Mike S.

I asked this once before long ago. What is the difference between the 3400 series and the 7000 series? The only difference I've noticed is the 3400 hydros were Vickers and the 7000 hydros were Sunstrands, although I thought I saw a for sale ad from Jonette that said something about a 7000 series with a Vickers. Are the shuttles and 3 speeds the same tractors from 3400 to 7000? Brent

I have had a early 7000 series (1974) with a Vickers in it. The 7000 series also began to use a amp gauge rather than the generator light like on the 3400 series.

I've been really eyeing that Baron since it is less than an hour away and I already have a 3416H....but won't go much higher than the $202 it is now since it doesn't run. I once had manuals for the 3416H and the 3414H tractors. The manuals were EXACTLY the same exept the part numbers for the decals were different. That was it. All other parts were the same. I also know someone who has a 7012S Baron. Don't know the year but think around 1977. Brent

Pat, on the Simple site if you go to Simplicity, and hit 1971 they show a 3314. I can't make out if its an 's' or 'h'. I was on there last nite looking up the 3314H I found by Fairbanks. Seems that is the only year the sov. was a 14. in 70 it was 12 and in 72 it was 15. MPH