Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler Magnum 18 charging problem

bigdog46

Recently I installed a Kohler Magnum 18 engine into my D/A 916H that I had converted from vertical to horizontal operation during the past winter.  After installation, I noticed that it was not charging the battery.  I suspected that the rectifier/regulator may be defective so I changed it out with a known good part without any success.  I then thought the stator must be bad as I had only low ac voltage coming from the stator leads so I swapped it out with a good one with no change.  I finally realized that the problem must be with the magnets inside the flywheel.   There are 6 magnets spaced equally around the inside of flywheel with approx. 1/4" spacing between the magnets.  When another magnet is placed near the spaces you should get attract, repel, attract, repel, attract, repel.  I was not getting this result so I knew the magnets were not placed in the proper sequence.  Sometime in the past, the magnets must have come loose and the magnets were glued back incorrectly.  I had to remove 4 of the 6 magnets and reposition them.  I used Gorilla epoxy glue which cures in 30 minutes.  The engine now charges the battery like it is designed.  I  thought this experience might be beneficial to someone browsing our site.  Gary.

I had the same problem with my DA1920, With the Kohler magnum20. I used JB weld as the adhesive and has been working great. The magnets became loose 4 years ago. Why they come loose, can't figure that one out. Anyways, excellent description of placing the magnets correctly.

You mentioned you had converted a vertical Kohler magnum to a horizontal. I for one would love to see this process as a tutorial or a list of parts and part numbers so It could be done more easily. This might make a good tutorial. Around here you can often find vertical Magnums in junk Mowers for cheap, and this would be a great way to give some Simplicities a second life.

From all I've heard, the Kohler magnum is the only vertical readily convertible, which is a shame, since vertical Commands seem really easy to find as well.

If you are interested in the Kohler Magnum vertical to horizontal conversion you might contact club member, country, as he sent me his writeup and pictures of the conversion he did to install engine in his 917H.  Gary.