Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis 620 home and ready to work (a little)

Talntedmrgreen

Brought this home a couple months back, as my first step into the Powermax world.  Why not?  All the cool kids are doing it...

I had seen it a year ago when visiting an older lady who's husband had passed.  She was giving away attachments but wanted a fortune for the tractor.  I passed.  Almost a year passed, all the while I shopped for a deal or for a comparable original machine.  We finally reconnected and the price dropped substantially...half of what it initially was by the time I got it home.

It seemed to clean up really really nice with a buffer and some time...595, 1-owner hours.  An envelope showed up a week later with ALL of the original manuals, brochures, receipts etc from dealer delivery to the last time he made a repair in 1991.  My goal for the machine is merely for joyriding, and a secret hope of mounting a big ol debris blower that I got real cheap at auction.  Fellow member Phil had one on his Powermax and I thought it was the neatest thing going, and had to copy the idea, vs putting it out front of the Legacy XL.

Here are some before and after cleaning pics.  A couple shots of the rare Airplane Hitch I got with it, and my project from this week, when I finally got that blower adapted to the 3pt hitch. I was able to find some wheel weights for a good price as well.  I would LOVE to find a front bumper to hang some weight on.

I'm really enjoying the machine.  Hoping to get some video of that blower in action as soon as we have a few more leaves fall...they are coming down now.

620b.jpg

620preclean.jpg

620postclean.jpg

620x.jpg

620hitchb.jpg

620hitch.jpg

620hitcha.jpg

620a.jpg

620 debris blower5.jpg

620 debris blower4.jpg

620 debris blower2.jpg

620 debris blower.jpg

Yep, good thing you have a heavy tractor, or it would blow you sideways!

Wonder how fast it would push you down the driveway with the back off and the snout plugged?????

• Like 1

Josh what speed do you reckon it will turn at 2000 rpm? I like the idea but concerned , assume it's 540 rpm, if Phil has done then it must be ok. just my $.02

The blowers are off a toro groundsman. The mid pto on the toros are rated at 2000 rpm. I've had mine for 3 years now at least and I have yet to have a problem. Oh and by the way they blow leaves like crazy, I love mine 

• Like 1

I saw some guys at a county park blowing leaves of a Compact tractor, similar to that.  I'd estimate the tractors to be 40 HP models, and the blowers were 60" diameter, if I had to guess...anyway, I was impressed!  They were moving leaves 50-75 feet...and not just a single layer...PILES of them!  It was awesome...and I want to find an old walk behind that I can adapt to the front of one of my tractors.  I don't care for rear mounted attachments...they hurt my neck too much.  

Nice set-up Josh, should make quick work of your yard, street, frontage street, etc. :)

Edited by Mike_H

2 hours ago, RickS said:

Given the size of that blower I wonder how it would work removing light snow from the driveway....

Rick.....

THAT is a consideration I have been eargerly awaiting an answer to.

18 hours ago, 720nut said:

Josh what speed do you reckon it will turn at 2000 rpm? I like the idea but concerned , assume it's 540 rpm, if Phil has done then it must be ok. just my $.02

I had been goofing around for probably 2 years, trying to find a walk behind model to belt drive off of a Sovereign, or shaft drive off the front of my Legacy.  I actually bought two, from the local auction, but they were such simple contraptions, that I wasn't comfortable converting them.  I did not want to have another engine to maintain or pay for a running unit (they aint cheap!) 

Essentially, most are a fan blade mounted directly onto an engine crankshaft, with a housing that is bolted to the walk behind frame, covering the fan.  The fan is not supported on a shaft with bearings within the housing, so once the engine is taken out of the equation, the fan blade has nothing to mount on.  I would have had to build a frame supporting the housing, add a shaft to the fan and have the frame support that, and still fabricate a way to mount it and attach a driveshaft or pulley for power.  In the end, I would have had a small blower.  The Groundsmaster blowers looked much more appealing, and entirely contained.  They are also very costly...so it took a while to find one cheap.  I was till planning to mount it on my front quick hitch for the Legacy, until I saw Phil's approach.  That sealed the deal for me, and I gradually let him talk me into buying a Powermax  :J

You can hook up a garden hose with a mister nozzle and make snow in the winter with that blower!  Nice tractor!

6 minutes ago, fishnwiz said:

You can hook up a garden hose with a mister nozzle and make snow in the winter with that blower!  Nice tractor!

Mark that is an incredible idea! Winter tractor work is my favorite so now I can make my own snow if we have a drought!

My wife will be wondering why we have a foot of snow on our driveway and nothing covering the grass :-)

6 hours ago, jimmystractor said:
7 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

I love how the paint cleaned up. It looks great!

Josh what did you use to clean up tractor?

Hey Mark, what's a mister nozzle?

I like the idea now that I know more about it, may need one to blow neighbors leaves back where they belong.

You going to post video of it in action? And snow it should move a foot easy as my backpacks will blow 4 in. takes a little longer but, you may want to warn neighbors of impeding blizzard.

"Hey Mark, what's a mister nozzle? "

A nozzle you set to mist...what else? 

Not to be confused with the misses nozzlel!

• Like 1

Gave it a shot tonite...about half throttle and the leaves are wet but it clears the lawn in a big hurry!  Clears my street in a single pass.

If you have a line on another I'm interested. I vacuum them with my Exmark but man how much quicker, it took you no time at all to dispose of them.

4 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

That thing works AWESOME!

Wonder if it would move Black Walnuts!?

Mark, assume if it's on the ground it will blow away, just send Josh a basket of walnuts and have him try it. 

I will wait eagerly by the mailbox...

I know it moves crushed stone pretty easily.

Edited by Talntedmrgreen

7 hours ago, 720nut said:

If you have a line on another I'm interested. I vacuum them with my Exmark but man how much quicker, it took you no time at all to dispose of them.

Mark, assume if it's on the ground it will blow away, just send Josh a basket of walnuts and have him try it. 

LOL...I would need to send him a few 55 gallon drums to get a real test of that beast!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Bill725
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts