Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electric lift

Marine0811

I have a simplicity 6216 with snowblower. The electric lift doesn't seem to work. I need to find out how the switch works. Any suggestions?

Can the DPDT switch go bad? If I hook my test light clamp to the negative side of the battery and operate the switch with the probe on the wire it lights up. 

Yes, the switch can go bad.   Not knowing the wiring specifics for your model I cannot be very specific but some systems work on reversing voltage to change direction of the the lift.  If yours is controlled entirely by the switch then both your positive and negative connections are going through the switch and even though you have positive on that connection you may not have it on the output or you may not have a ground connection.

It may be easier to test the motor powering it directly.  My 416H is wired so that the switch reverses the positive and negative going to the motor.  There could be a loose, broken or corroded connection to the switch causing the problem or a pinched/broken wire elsewhere.  If you can test directly to the motor without the switch you can narrow the problem down more and not buy parts until you know they are needed.

Take a look at this link to see how my switch is wired and compare to yours then you will be able to check for both ground and voltage at correct locations as well as determine where ground and v are feeding to the switch to make sure your connections are good.

Thanks for the response. I got it figured out. I cleaned all the connections and endd up draining about a half a cup of water out of the motor. Works good now