Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Newb question on turning radius....

jimmystractor

jimmystractor

I have a question about the turning radius on my 7117. I only have one and haven't driven another so excuse me on the newbie question.  I noticed that my turning radius to the right is about 1/2 to 2/3 what the turning radius is to the left. Is that normal? Can the radius be improved?

No, that is not normal.  Post a picture of your steering arm, and rod.  If the arm on the spindle is bent or the rod from the steering box to the arm is the wrong length could cause a bias towards one way or the other.

It can be adjusted at the heim in the drag link.  Mine turns tighter to the left too, but it isn't a huge difference and I am used to it.......and lazy or I would give 'er an alignment.wch

jimmystractor

Thanks for the replies.  Now that I know it isn't normal, I went out and took a quick look. Nothing looks bent so I am think this is an adjustment. 

Also, I turned the wheel all the way to the right on the steering wheel. I then turned/pushed the tire manually by hand further to the right by hand. I was surprised how much more I got it to easily go further right. There is a decent amount that I am not getting from the steering wheel turn. Any tips or help is appreciated.