Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Restoring wheels

rich_kildow

I have a full set of large frame rims I'd like to refinish and I want to make sure I don't mess anything up.  These will be getting new bearing races after they are done, but will I hurt the bead seating surface if I media blast them?  Right now the cabinet is loaded with medium grit coal slag.  The rims have some rust inside and out.

Any recommendations on paint and primer?  I think the most common I've seen used is Rustoleum almond appliance paint.

I have had excellent results priming parts with Rustoleum Rusty Metal primer and using a Rustoleum topcoat. Always gave good long term service. You may want to try a small area inside the rim with your blast media to see what effect it has on the material. Don't believe it will cause any problems with the bead seating.

Ive had no problems after blasting wheels, you can always use bead sealer if youre worried. Not sure how you or anyone else gets the beads busted off of wheels but Ive had good luck with the bead buster xb-450. It runs about $100 but has worked flawlessly for me and takes up almost no room at all, can fit in your hand!

Don't see worthless but pictures would be nice.

I've blasted them and repainted with out any problems, not like your going to blow holes in them.

I have blasted several sets of wheels with no adverse affects.  I use fine grit ground walnut shells and a pressurized tank from Harbor Freight.

Edited by wwbragg

This is how I do it if I'm replacing the tires:

1. Remove wheel bearings, races, and clean all grease from rim.
  2. Blast the entire bare rim to clean metal and prime entire rim.
  3. Inspect for excess pitting which may cause leakage at the bead.
  4. If deep pits are found, fill with spot putty, sand smooth, reprime and sand as required.
  5. Paint the inner portion of the rim and around the valve stem mounting surface on both sides.
  6. Allow paint to cure at least 7 days (if using the appliance epoxy).
  7. Install tire and or tube on wheel using a hand operated tire machine at work. Do not seat the tire on the bead yet.
  8. Mask off tire and feather-edge and touch up any scratches from mounting.
  9. Paint outside faces of rim and allow to cure before installing races. It is likely to have a few chips occur installing the races and you'll need to touch it up with a brush.

If I'm not replacing the tire, I blast the rim with the tire still mounted, mask off the tire, and prime and paint as required.

Probably the most tedious chore in the cosmetic portion of a restoration, IMO.  It is a lot of work to do it properly, for what seems like a simple "just throw a coat of paint on the rims" project.  But it is almost a must if I am changing rubber, and in the long run well worth it.