Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New to me Allis 712H help needed.

Bigstone

My first post...  

I just purchased an Allis 712H (my first real garden tractor) and it was running when I brought it home but...  1. Now when I turn the key I have no battery. I have a good charged battery in it so I'm thinking I have an open circuit somewhere. Is there a place to find a wring diagram. #2 When I brought it home it steered very hard. I removed the mower deck to see what was underneath and lubed the grease fittings I saw no appreciable change. Any suggetion on how to improve/remedy this would be much apprecaited. #3 The owner showed me where to disengage the hydro pump by pushing the metal  piece on top of the pump down but the little pins pop back up real slow (days)  I put a little oil on top of the pins already.  Any sollution for that? 

For now that's it.

Any comments will be much appreciated.

Check to make sure your PTO is not engaged, and that the hydro is in the "nuetral" detent.  Both have safety switches and will kill the starter circuit.

The steering shaft / bushings just above the pinion gear and next to the gas tank can use some dry lubricant.  That may very well be the cause of the tight steering.  Lubing up that area can make a world of difference.

The hydro pins should pop right up when the tractor is started and they are under pressure. If they pop up that slowly (days) under pressure, then the oil will hopefully eventually help them.  But if they aren't frozen and still moving that slow under pressure, you may have issues with the pump.  I do doubt that however, as the Sunstrand pumps are pretty bullet proof.

Welcome to the club. Under the "Downloads" section under "Operator Manuals A-C" , you'll find an operators manual for 710-718 tractors and there is a wiring diagram in the back of the book. Also you might check for dirty and or semi tightened wire connections.  It happened to me last week and I should know better, but on one of my tractors, it started fine, I shut it off, then went to restart and nothing. Long and short of it battery to solenoid connectoin nut was loose by a good half turn. 

Hello, Check your battery connections , also the plug on the back of the ignition switch sometimes gets corrosion on it . check all wiring connections ,Ground to chassis,  wire to starter, ETC. , sometimes just wiggle a wire to see if it is loose.  Hope this helps ,good luck.

Thanks Ken in Mi

Hi Everyone

Wow!  There's a lot of help here.  It's much appreciated and I look forward to the time when I can return the favor to a newbe. Please be patient with me along the way.  

According to the webmaster in order to download you have to have paid your dues.  So that is the next step for me.  In the next couple of days or so I'll see what I can do to remedy the issues I inquired about.  I'll keep everyone abreast of my progress.

Bigstone 

It's the best $10 I ever spent. You'll never regret it unless the wife threatens to leave you over the 5th tractor you just brought home!sm03

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well I got the 712 wiring figured out.  Oneof thr safety switch contions was a litte corroded.  Now onto my issue.  

I'm not getting gas to th plugs. However I can squirt gas into the carb and the engine runs fine. I took the gas line hose off of the' out" side of the fuel filter and there's plenty of gas there.Next I took the fuel line off at the pont where it enteres the carb.  These was gas and when I cranked the engine it seemed to pump bas but not alot.  The sparkplug is dry so I suppose I should open up the carb and clean it.   Are there other things that I should look att too?

BR

Dave

The float needle could be stuck, not allowing gas into the carb.  I have had this happen several times with the Kohler carb.  First blow some compressed air into the fuel line connection on the carb and try again before pulling it apart.

Welcome to the club !

There are videos on YouTube that show how to clean and take apart a carburator if you are not familiar with the exact way to do it.

Edited by fishnwiz