Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Opinions on e-bay 3414S

Brent_Baumer

Question #2: What the heck is the shorter belt for in the picture below? The seller says "belts" for the mower deck included. (Note: I have e-mailed the seller with these questions but have no response yet) Thanks, Brent http://killingthejoy.com/j373e.jpg

Question #3 - The seller says this tractor probably only needs a set of points and condenser to make it run and that it has none right now. IF you were the seller wouldn't you spend the extra $15 to make a running tractor to sell? Something sounds fishy here.......Brent[A href='http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2005815899&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1015288580&indexURL=0&rd=1']http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2005815899&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1015288580&indexURL=0&rd=1[/a]

Question #1: Shouldn't you be able to see the top of the starter/generator in the photo below if it had one? The seller says the tractor does not run. There are no photos of the right side to tell for sure. They say they tested the engine and it turns over using a craftsmen key but it just seems to me you should be able to partly see the starter. I guess it could be a newer engine in it without a starter/generator, and have a gear type starter: http://killingthejoy.com/j373d.jpg

Brent, The way I look at it from a buyers perspective - if it isn't running; you're buying a parts tractor; so it should be priced accordingly. Make the seller understand that. Without the tractor running, you just have no idea what condition the tractor is in (engine, transmission, electrical, etc.). Kind of like buying a 'pig in a poke' that can sometimes be a 'diamond in the rough'. If your familiar with the model and have a good idea of what to look for (problem areas); you can make a pretty good assessment of what it will take (time and cost) to get it into working condition. Then you can begin the restoration process. ;o) You should be able to pick it up for a bargain - good luck! Jeff

Answer to question #1 The starter/generator is there. Look at were the muffler is bolted to the top of the starter/generator bracket on engine.I can see the end cap for the starter/generator & one of the bolts for the starter/generator postive battery connection. Answer to question #3 For $15.00 it would be worth it to put in new points & condenser. The engine might be blown up or shuttle drive does not work?

Brent, could the shorter belt be to run from the center PTO to the bgb? or was it a different system than the B series..MPH

Karl - ah I see it now. I was thinking the S-G was mounted a little higher than that. Jeff - I'm done bidding on this machine. I'm pretty familiar with that type of tractor (I have a 3416H, and just sold and older 7010), but I can find others around here in the $200-$300 range that I can actually look at before I buy. Hope someone makes out well on this deal. MPH - This tractor only uses 1 belt from the BGB down to the deck. That's an awful short belt for anything I know of, maybe it's for the shuttle? Thanks for the input. Brent

Sam - I've never seen a shuttle in person. I do hear alot of negatives about them though. I've had S-G and regulator problems on my 3416H, and of course a leaky Vickers, but it runs good and is a good backup machine when the 916H is down. I just have to make sure I don't stop in one place too long or the hydro fluid will kill the grass in that spot. Hydro fluid is murderous on grass. Just a little bit and the grass dies and nothing will grow in that spot for a long time. I do think they are as worth repairing as any 7000 series since they are the same tractor as far as I can tell. As far as your $200 deal goes, did you go to confession that Sunday and recite 20 Our Fathers and 10 Hail Mary's for robbing that guy? Brent

Actually I have bought more than one machine similar to that at auction for $200-$250. I can't help it no one else bids. That particular machine was decribed over the phone and all I was told was that the engine had been overhauled a year ago or so and the deck had been worked on some and that the transmission wouldn't move the tractor, and there was a loud banging sound when it ran.( the driveshaft whizzing around loose on the BGB input shaft as I later found out). I made that $200 offer sight unseen on a parts outfit basis. HE said he would check with some other potential buyers first. Two weeks went by and one day lo and behold he called up and said come and get it. I didn't know to what extent the deck had been fixed or what other new parts and repair work was done till I had it home. It could have easily been the other way around. Like that Baron on Ebay-"How do you know what you are really getting without seeing it?" Buying this stuff is kinda like gambling, only when the bet goes bad with a tractor at least you still have "something" to work with..................

Sorry if I offend, but a shuttle tractor is a parts tractor to begin with for me................. Of course, I don't fix the 3400 series anymore either regardless of transmissions. I parted out a perfectly good 3414H last year save for the key had been stripped out on the input shaft to the BGB.( and I only gave $200 for it) Put the rebuilt engine in a 917 Hydro with hydraulic lift. ( a more worthy machine)and used the rebuilt deck on the 917 too. Do you suppose I got my moneys worth out of it? Rebuilt engine new regulator rebuilt deck new blades rebushed vickers tranny All sorts of goodies on that one-

Hi Brent, I will just point out that this unit has been converted to electronic ignition. All the holes for the plunger and etc.are blocked off with screws, or pipe plugs. If you are close enough to the seller, ask if he has had it running. If the crank and piston are good, I would suspect he is having trouble with the ignition. He forgot to have the flywheel repolarized.

I just noticed this too. The crankshaft looks a little short and is either larger in diameter than normal up or it has something over it. Can anyone tell? I can't tell if the plunger itself is still there, but I can definitely see all the screws where the condenser clip, points, and cover holes once were. Surely if they converted it over to electronic it ran at least once upon a time?? Doesn't really matter, I've made up my mind that this is a $200 or less parts machine and the bid is now at $217....Brent

Brent, I don't think that's the crankshaft. It looks like that tractor is equipped with a front PTO clutch for a snowthrower.

Hey, I might end up with this tractor after all. Looks like whoever outbid me at $212.50 has retracted his bid. I think I bid $215 max. yesterday so I doubt it'll hold up. We'll see.....Dutch, I've never seen one of those front clutches either, I imagined they amounted to a pulley on the end of the crank. Guess not, must be real close to the block. Brent

Mechanically, the front PTO clutch is similar to the center PTO clutch. What you see in the photo is the spring that applies pressure.

I saw that. I think Simplecity1 is also a club member, but I don't remember who. If you read this (Simplecity1), good luck as I'll not be upping the ante......Brent

Brent, if its a parts tractor. Hot items: muffler, front clutch, engine, starter-gen, BGB, differential, axle tube, the small head lights. You can easily get much more than the $215. Or if the Shuttle is good>>> use it. My 3414S Baron is a great tractor and I use it all the time, not quite as good as a hydro but close. Good Luck! Mike S.