Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Thoughts on an engine that smokes a bit...

jimmystractor

I recently bought a 7119 that has a series II motor. The PO thought it was a 1979-1980 model so it has been around the block. The tractor is in okay shape and the motor seems to work as it should. The motor smokes a little bit on startup, mostly when you are getting the throttle to full. The smoke is a black/blue type of smoke. Is something like this pretty much the first warning sign that the end is near or could this motor still work a long time with proper maintenance?

If it were mine, I would keep an eye on the oil and the plugs. If it runs strong, uses only a little oil and doesn't foul the plugs too quickly, I'd run it until started going downhill.  For what its worth... Dave

Black smoke is usually an indication of fuel issues, blue or grey is an issue of oil burning.  If it is just on start up and not using a bunch of oil, I would'nt worry too much.  I might change out the plugs and run some Seafoam in a few tanks of gas to try to clean up any fuel issues.  Check the air filter housing.  Is there oil in it from the breather?  If so check / replace the breather assembly.  Beyond that, I would simply make sure the oil level is good, and check it regularly.  Low oil is the quickest way to kill the KT / Magnums (and any engine really)