Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

SunStar PS cylinder rebuild

sandyhillbill

Saw this on another tractor forum --thought I would give it a try since I have two cylinders laying around

that leak and a new one is priced at $600 sm00 I have all done except the welding and I don't trust my welding so

I'm waiting for my welding buddy to return to town. BTW I found a used cylinder on Ebay for $150 that should be here next week--hope it doesn't leak--the pictures are self explanatory - I got the O rings from my local Hydraulic supply for no chargesm03  the two on top are new and the bottom ones are the old ones and you can see why the cylinder was leaking - the bottom cyl is the original one that is 29 years old and was replaced about 15 years ago with the top one which has been leaking for a few months. Did the cut with a Metabo 6" grinder with a cutoff wheel. Only thing I would do different is make the cut about a 1/4" toward the rod end of the cyl. I cut in the middle of the weld and that actually cut into the solid end piece where the fitting screws in. Will report back when I finish. 101_2016.JPG    101_2014.JPG101_2015.JPG101_2017.JPG

• Like 1

Bill: Do you have any pics of the rod assembly by it self ...out of the housing? Would like to see what the piston looks like. Also are there seals on the end where the rod exits the cylinder or is the what you are showing. They look like what would be on the piston. I just got done rebuilding a 3 inch by 30 inch stroke cylinder on my backhoe...which I have mounted on a Ford 861 tractor. Bit of a story but the place I took it to wanted over $500 to replace the rod and seals!!! The rod looked fine to me. I ended up picking it up and going to a REAL hydraulic shop and got all the seals and the shop guy looked at it and said it looked fine. He threw it into one huge lathe and polished it..no charge! Got it back together and it's working great. Oh .. he quoted me $165 for a new chrome rod ,threaded on the one end and my old end welded on the new rod. But he said you won't have any problems with the one I had. 

Never liked the fact that these cylinders are welded.

Harry

Harry--here are a couple of pictures of the piston with the O ring sandwiched between two plastic washers--

as for the seal at the exit end of the cyl those are the O ring and small plastic washer in the first set of pictures-

there is also a wiper at the exit but it was not damaged and the guy at the hydraulic shop said it would be OK.101_2019.JPG101_2021.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Finished up with the cylinder rebuild along with new spindle and bushings on the SunStar--turned out very good with no leaks--

I also have another cylinder from ebay and another to be rebuilt so I should be good for awhile. 101_2026.JPG101_2027.JPG101_2029.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit surprised the hydraulic shop didn't have you upgrade to something more like a square section synthetic seal for the piston. The cylinder on my old John Deere crawler originally had O-rings. I replaced them with better ones that had a square cross-section along with what I think is a Teflon layer around it.

• 4 months later...