Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Triad Oil Leak

Simplicity7013H

Hi guys been a while since I've been on. I'm having an oil leak issue on my Triad. It leaks around the oil filter when it's running. I made sure there was not another oil seal stuck to the block and have tried 2 new filters. I was using Ford Motorcraft filters and it started leaking so I installed a new Motorcraft filter. No luck... So I got a genuine Kohler filter and it still leaks. The crankcase vent had fallen off of the carb so I re-installed it and put the clamp back on. Not sure but I have a hunch that it has to do with the crankcase vent. It's smoking a bit too which it didn't do when I got it. There also a slight oil leak around the breather cover. This is driving me crazy! Your help is very much appreciated!

Thank you,

.              Elliott 

I know very little about the Triads.  But I looked in the parts book and there's an o-ring behind the plate the oil filter mounts to.  Maybe the oil filter nipple is loose?  (Changed the oil filter and the nipple loosened?).  

Hopefully it's not oil leaking from above. 

I'm going to upload the Triad Parts Manual.  The o-ring can be seen on page 10. 

Ok, I'll check that out. Sounds like a probable cause. If the adapter plate is cracked where could I even find a new one? Thank you both for your help! 

I checked out the manual and stumbled apon this in the re assembly section. Well, I'll check the o ring and it says that the adapter plate is sealed on with RTV and said it could start leaking if the RTV gets old. 

image.jpg

I think you're miss-reading that Elliot.  To me, that means that you should re-install the adapter with a new tube of RTV, not something that's been sitting in your toolbox for a year.  Once RTV is installed properly, it doesn't really get old and deteriorate.  Its basically silicone, same stuff you use to seal your tub and sink at home.  It lasts a really long time, unless disturbed.

That being said, I'd still check the oil filter adapter out.  Sounds like a plausible spot for a leak. Look at the plastic housing carefully.  I once chased an oil leak on my boat for a whole summer before I found out that the timing chain cover was plastic (its a Small Block Chevy).  I pulled it apart, and the plastic was deteriorated to the point where it was like a soaker hose.  All kinds of cracks and holes in it,  but under no pressure, it was OK.  When the engine was running with 40 PSI oil pressure, oil would seep out through the cover, run to the low spot, and drip into the bilge.   

Elliot,

You may want to disassemble the breather assembly on your Triad to check if it has all the pieces.  The only reason I am saying this is because I recently purchased a brand new 75th still in dealer inventory.  As soon as I got home with it I noticed there was oil around the breather tube base.  Guess what?  There was no breather installed from the factory!  Missing three parts!  The breather reed, The retainer & the Bolt were never installed from the factory.

Before I ever mowed with it, I removed the engine, machined a notch out the mounting plate on the right hand side of the tractor to match the existing hole already in the frame.  Then I relocated the oil drain to that side with a 45 degree street elbow with the quick drain.  No mess now when draining.  I then followed Bill 725's advise on removing the mechanical fuel pump from the cam cover & installing an aluminum block-off plate drilled & tapped to install a 90 degree barb fitting with a sintered bronze filter pressed in to keep oil out of the fuel pump.  This is where the crankcase pressure comes from for the impulse fuel pump.  I then installed the impulse pump like the Command engine uses.  Air filters are getting expensive so it was converted to use the tallest Command filter.  The stainless cover was just to make it look nicer.  Bill has an excellent document on the air filter conversion.

Good luck & ask if you need anything.

IMG_1056.JPG

IMG_1035.JPG

IMG_1112.JPG

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 4:27 PM, ShaunE said:

There was no breather installed from the factory!  Missing three parts!  The breather reed, The retainer & the Bolt were never installed from the factory.

Shawn,

I bet those parts were removed by a dealer mechanic during the many years your tractor sat at the dealership.  Needed them for a customer Triad service/repair and none in inventory.  Then forgot to replace them.

I especially like your air filter mod.

And a curiosity question about the Triad oil drain.  You wrote  " I relocated the oil drain to that side"; although I have 2 75th's, I've never seen a Sovereign with an installed Triad.  If the oil drain was on the other side, where did the oil drain line run?  There weren't any holes in the frames of my 75th's on the other side (left side sitting on tractor).  Also I assume the Triad casting was already drilled, tapped, and plugged for you to add the oil drain.  I can't believe Simplicity didn't use your "design" for the oil drain.  Nice touch.

Edited by PhanDad

Thanks for the nice comments.  

The original oil drain was located  on the other side & yes, both sides are tapped.  The side under the starter is plugged from the factory.  The original oil drain under the filter side was the petcock drain valve pointed forward & you had to place a section of hose on it & route it out the front & into the receiving container.  I did not like that setup.  I was not able to use the Kohler petcock drain on the other side because the Triad requires the elevated mounting plate & the stamped slot in the side of the frame is not high enough to get a socket on the drain valve.  The quick drain requires no tools to use so that is why I chose that option.  There was a bit of trial & error coming up with my result.  This is the second Triad installed Sovereign I've done this conversion on.  The first one I sold to buy this 75th.  I'm sure there are even better options than the 45 degree street elbow & quick drain.  I just wanted to utilize the hole in the frame & try to reduce the mess of old oil.  I realize there still is a mess when the filter is removed but I just wanted to "clean things up" if you will.  I have a NOS power steering kit still in the box that I have owned for about 6 years waiting to be installed in a 75th in case I ever found a nice candidate. 

I've wanted a 75th since they first came out.  My local dealer had one but I was young with a new family & new house in 1997 & could not afford it.  I have been watching for years & a member of this club since 2001 if I remember correctly, so I have read all the Triad concerns & fixes that members have posted so I knew what I was getting myself into when I finally got one.  The only reason I chose to purchase the one I did is because This was sold to me as a New tractor & I have a two year warranty on the tractor AND the Triad.  I have confirmed this through two of my local dealers as well to make sure the dealer I purchased it from wasn't blowing smoke.  This was the owner of the dealerships personal tractor that had never cut grass & had only been in a few local parades including the one in Milwaukee in 1997.  I even received a copy of the Milwaukee paper from 1997 with the picture of the parade on the front page, the big color advertising poster & the dealer invoice from when he purchased it.   

I've thought about the same concern as you about the dealership needing those breather parts for another Triad & it is a possibility.  But I don't think that is the case & the reason I say this is because the breather gasket is applied with black sealant to both sides when assembled.  I find it very hard to believe that the was taken apart & reassembled with the black sealant without replacing those parts.  Plus the carburetor & all the linkages including the governor linkage needs to be removed to access the breather assembly on the Triad.  I also could not see any tool marks on the bakelite assembly where someone would have had to cut the old sealant.  I mean, that's a lot of work to take apart & reassemble with a new gasket & sealant without installing the three vital components.  But I guess anything is possible.

The air filter modification was Bill725's idea.  He has an excellent set of instructions for the conversion.  I did not have is instructions when I installed mine.  I just looked at his pictures he had posted & used a piece of cardboard to make a template.  It's a bit more crude than his.  He & I have become good friends & we call each other with ideas & questions on a routine basis.

Edited by ShaunE
I thought I was sending a PM