Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Battery needed for 7112H

jsarro

If you can't find a 22NF -- the original spec, a tractor battery -- a Group 51R car battery will fit.  Do not get a Group 51, only the 51R which means the poles are reversed.  In my experience you can only find 22NFs at farm stores...

Only thing I didn't like about the 51R is that it doesn't have the lugs on the sides of the case to clamp it in.  It was mentioned in another post about the possibility of a tip over and the battery shorting the terminals out against the metal hood.  That could be a problem, what with the battery so close to the fuel tank...fm

I use a 550 CCA battery in my lawnmowers, and put them in for other people, too. Be careful, though, with such a high amperage battery. With a starter generator, it makes little difference. A geared starter, though makes a big difference. If the engine does not start easily, and requires a lot of turning to make it start, you can burn the starter up before starting the engine. Before I put the batteries in, I make certain that the engines start easily, with little more than a bump on the switch, and teach the customer how to start the engine with this battery. Only bump the starter, do not let it grind over and over. If it does not start quickly, look for other problems.