Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gaylord Elk

720nut

I know this is not tractor related but several conversations over the last couple of months and seems not a lot of people know they are there, so anyway here's some pictures of them.

Oh, and wife and others doing just what signs says DO NOT FEED you can see they really listened. Very impressive animals

This is a few of the herd they have there.

DSCN1044.JPG

DSCN1045.JPG

DSCN1046.JPG

DSCN1047.JPG

DSCN1049.JPG

DSCN1050.JPG

DSCN1051.JPG

Nice pictures!  Are these elk that are fenced IN, or fenced OUT?  I've seen some of the wild herd up around Gaylord when snowmobiling (they like to walk the trails when the snow gets deep), and have heard they can be a nuisance to farmers and homeowners.  A buddy of mine drew a MI elk tag and got a nice 5x5 bull about 10 years back.

I also ran across a moose in the UP on a sled one year...THAT was freaky.  It was a female moose, but still the largest critter I've seen in the wild, and there was no way she was stepping off into the deep snow to let us pass by.

Yeah there fenced in, not sure how many acres but a large area next the DPW of Gaylord (best place to see) or Gaylord Elks club.

I've seen a couple of moose up in New Hampshire but one was cow and calf and bull out in mill pond just head sticking out, like you say very large animals

I've never seen them in the wild but could just imagine one coming at me on a run thru the woods

I haven't seen elk in the wild yet, but have seen moose and bear in the U.P.  Once, while  mountain biking near Michigan Tech (my alma matter),  we had a black bear come out into the trail about 25 yards  ahead of us...little spooky to say the least.  it didn't seem to care about use though, and just meandered across the trail and back into the woods.

Nice pics Llyod.