Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kt17 series 2....Is this a real one? 24302

Alltractoredup

Heres my dilemma....I bought this KT17 in a package deal....Engine shrouds say series 2 and the number in the title comes up as a series two.....however, there is no block off plate where the oil filter could be on the block by the oil dip stick.  Is it possible this still has the desired 40-50 psi oil pressure setup?

When I tear into it what will tell me inside it is the pressure lube setup???

Thanks in advance

KT #'s 24299 and lower are KT Series 1 engines.  Over that they are series 2.  Not all of them had filter setups.  All of the KT's series one and two had oil pressure, so there was oil pumps, not necessarily filter setups.  I was of the underatandign they all had the oil pump cover plate.  I could be mistaken.

To put it most simply, all of the KT's and Magnums had oil pumps and used a pressurized system.  The early KT's only has pressure to the mains and camshaft bearings, and pressurized spray on the rods.  This operated at about 5#'s  The Series two had pressurized mains, camshaft and rods and operated at about 25#'s.  So if the crank is drilled and has oil ports for the rods, that is the one failsafe way to tell it is a Series 2.

I'm 99% sure that the 24302 spec, is the original Series II spec.  My 917H had that spec, and pressurized oil, with no filter base cover plate.  It is my understanding that Simplicity/Allis, didn't use the oil filter base blocks until the plain blocks were used up.  The blocks with the filter base was also used in the M18.

Agreed...I have had KT17s with and without the cover.  The black frame tractors of the late 80's to early 90's have had the plate.  I've seen a couple with the filter added.  There are easy install kits for this.  The Cub guys commonly add them remotely, due to space constraints.

I'm not finding the info now, but there is a way to tell a Series I from II based on the oil pressure port (name?) above where the oil filter plate would eventually be.  The allen head style plug in this port (you can hook up an external oil pressure gauge here) indicates a Series II block.  I had found this info in a cub forum, with pics, at one time.  I do not recall what the Series I port used as a plug, but thought that port was a bit smaller in size also.  The plugs are not interchangeable.Perhaps someone more famiilar can chime in.  Seems it may be common to not have a serial # tag that is legible on these engines.  Probably half the KT's Ive had had lost their tag or it became impossible to read.

Thanks guys!!  Mine has the set screw that talentedmrgreen mentioned.  I also found on google other colored tractor guys state what was said....Sooooo......I have a series 2!!!!  I will tear it down and and see if it is rebuildable....It did have 80 some psi of pressure in both cylinders....just had some leaky gaskets.

I have 2 KT17-1 a KT19-1, 2 KT17-2, 3 M20.  All of my KTs and one of the Ms have the same size allen scew in the oil pressure port.  2 of the M20s have the larger port with the oil sentry pressure switch installed.