Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor of the Month - January 2017

SmilinSam

Tractor of the Month Contest

January 2017
This months contest will be :
"Creative Winter Storage"

Show us your solutions to storing your unused tractors and attachments for the winter

Contest limited to the first 20 entries

Voters will choose the best overall entry and its presentation

Open to
All Simplicity and Allis Chalmers lawn & garden tractors as well as all other names made by Simplicity and/or Allis Chalmers

Please Note:

All pictures submitted to Tractor of the Month contests should be sized to 640x480 to maintain consistency and neatness in presentation

Also: If contest criteria calls for multiple tractors, please put all the tractors in one picture, rather than posting a series of pictures showing individual tractors. Its the only way to get all your winning equipment, for such a contest, in the picture on the Club home page

Tractor of the month contest guidelines

1. For club members and registered users, or those who have access to use the Show and Tell forum. This also includes all officers, moderators, and administrators.

2. The selection committee will determine each monthly contests criteria. Equipment that does not meet theme criteria will be disqualified by the committee and removed from the submission topic.

3. The tractors submitted can be a restoration, an original, a rescue, a modification, an extensive repair/rebuild - or as specified by the committee.

4. This contest is open for owners to enter their own tractors, or by having someone else nominate them - upon which owner must accept and post entry.

5. The contest is limited to the first 20 entries submitted. This due to the poll system only being able to accommodate 20 entries. Following the 20th entry, the contest topic will be closed to further entries. Votes will be taken in the normal time frame as stated below.

6. Post your entry as a reply to this topic. Narrative and pictures are required - This to tell its story, and to convince voters why it is deserving of being the next Club's tractor of the month.

7. You can enter a tractor/equipment multiple times (months), but it can only win once per year. Once that tractor has won, you cannot submit that tractor again for a year on any subject.

8. Each contest will have a entry submission period beginning the 15th day of each month and lasting to the 15th day of the following month. Once the submission period is over, the current nomination topic will be locked and the next opened.

9.Following each months submission period, a poll topic will then be opened and members will be asked to vote on the nicest tractor listed in the nomination topic. All members and registered users are eligible to vote. Vote will last for a period of two weeks , from the 15th day of month to the last day of each month. The new winner will be declared on the 1st of each month.

10. Wining tractors each month will be posted on the club home page for a period of one month, 1st day of the month to the last day of the month, and a Contest winners hat will be sent to the winner.

11. Please post only entries/nominees in this topic -- any other replies will be deleted.

12. All pictures submitted should be sized to 640x480 to maintain consistency and neatness in presentation. If contest criteria calls for multiple tractors, please put all the tractors in one picture, rather than posting a series of pictures showing individual tractors. Its the only way to get all your winning equipment, for such a contest, in the picture on the Club home page

13. Final vote results will be posted to Poll topic at the time the Poll topic is closed. These posted results are the official, and FINAL results that will determine the winner each month regardless of any further votes cast After the polls have been closed. This is stated because while replies cannot be made after a poll topic is closed, apparently votes can continue to be cast. Its a technical issue that we have to work around at the present time.

14. In the event of a tie, the following procedure will be in effect. The tied winners will share having their pictures posted on the Club home page, each having an equal amount of the months time in the spotlight. There will only be one hat awarded though, and so there will be a run-off vote between the tied members for the hat. This vote will last 2 weeks. The winner of this second run-off vote will receive the winners hat.

If a tied winner has already won a contest and a hat, the hat for the tied contest will automatically be given to other tied winner who has not won one yet.

Edited by SmilinSam

• 2 weeks later...

I have not entered TOTM for a long time. My winter storage can be quite a mess but at least everything gets in out of the weather. I have a temporary structure in front of my shop and it is stuffed from front to back. There are a couple of walk behind Simplicities with several attachments. Tractors which include a B1, early and late B10's, a BigTen, a MW Squire 9, a B10 parts tractor, and a 3314H Simplicity. There are also two rollers, two walk behind dump carts and two pull behind dump carts. Also a front blade and two 10in. plows. Inside my shop are another BigTen (my worker tractor), my 620, another MW Squire, a B207, another B1, a 712H, a 2012 Simplicity, a 919H, two B110's, a B112 and a B212. Also four more walk behind 2 wheelers and two walk behind 1 wheelers and the remains of three large Empire walk behinds. There are also many attachments on the shelves which include a sickle mower, the decks for my 620 and B207 and a homemade sprayer to mount an the rear of the FD tractors. The blower for the 620 and the trailer cover for the leaf blower trailer are on the deck of the big truck. Also taking up storage space besides the garden tractor stuff are the IHC 1610B cabover, the Ranger I am working on to get road worthy, 5 motorcycles, two Continental stationary engines and all my tools and equipment. Like I said earlier; very messy but all under cover for the winter.

winstore 002.jpg

winstore 003.jpg

winstore 004.jpg

winstore 005.jpg

winstore 006.jpg

winstore 007.jpg

winstore 009.jpg

winstore 010.jpg

winstore 011.jpg

winstore 012.jpg

winstore 016.jpg

winstore 017.jpg

Edited by B10Dave
  • Like 3

Shortly after we moved into our house in 1972, I decided to "square off" the corner of the house where the garage extended past the end of the family room for storage of "outside stuff".  At the time, I had just replaced an old Springfield (I think that was the brand) rider with my Dad's B-110 after he bought the Homelite T-12 package.  The Springfield fit in front of my car in the garage, but since the B-110 came with a snowblower, they wouldn't fit and the idea to add a "shed" to the house was born.  As I reviewed my plan with my co-constructor Dad, I can still remember him saying "you should make it bigger".   Even my wife thought Dad had a point, but I was too young and dumb to take his advice.  The inside of the shed measures 7'-4" x 12'-9"; but the family room masonry fireplace uses up 2' x 6' of the space (13%).  Two 3' wide x 18"' deep metal shelving units fill most of the space on each side.    

The shed was "big enough" through the mid 2000's when the T-12's front electric clutch craped out and a replacement wasn't available from the local dealer.  He did, at the time however, have a garage kept 17GTH-L with blown engine for sale cheap.  And more importantly told be about this club and maybe they could help me source part(s) to repair/replacement the electric PTO. The disease started and the shed space was quickly outgrown even with "creative storage" solutions.    

My first rule of storage is items must be disassembled to some degree to permit maximum density storage.  Second rule is you must make use of "high" space as much as possible.  The back wall of the shed illustrates these rules.  The "leafer" cart is disassembled and the regular cart and wheel barrow hung high:

IMG_0260a.JPG

Decks placed vertically:

IMG_9203a.JPG

IMG_8566a.JPG

First tractor in:

IMG_0252a.JPG

IMG_7347a.JPG

You'll note there's no "rule" of exactly which item occupies a given space,  just that the space is routinely used as the seasons change.

Finally the second tractor in:

IMG_9326a.JPG

As I stated above, the shed is too small for all items so I use the same principals in "my half" of the garage.  Here's a section of the garage side wall.  The PECO unit is disassembled and to some extent the Johnny Bucket:IMG_9179a.JPG

And a shot of the same area in the current configuration (a pair of old standard scaffold supports creating a raised 4' x 8' second layer in the garage):

IMG_9313a.JPG

PECO unit above spare snowblower (spout removed) under upper shelf plank:

IMG_9314a.JPG 

Other areas of "my" garage follow the "rules", but it's always a work in progress as items come and go, although I'm currently trying to limit the "coming" and increase the "going". 

Edited by PhanDad
  • Like 1

I am also using a vinyl shed to store my excess and off season tractors and equipment.  I call it the "paper shed", it is 12' wide x 20' long, and keeps everything dry.  I take the seats off the tractors and close up the openings on the engines to keep the mice from reeking havoc.

Papershdcl.JPG

Papershdop.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • SmilinSam locked, unfeatured and unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

The vote is now closed

Results at time of closing were :

B10Dave

PhanDad

MikeES

Congratulations to B10Dave for being this month winner