Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ALLIS CHAMLERS TRACTOR

I HAVE AN OLD ALLIS CHAMLERS DRIVE O MOWER IM TRYING TO GET RUNNIN, I HAVE NOT CRANKED IT YET. IT HAS A BRIGGS AND STRATTON ENG, ONE CYLINDER, DONT KOW HP,MOST LIKLY 5 OR UP, NO PULL START, IF I PUT MY HAND ON THE SCREEN OVER THE FLYWHEEL I CAN SPIN THE ENG OVER WITHOUT MUCH EFFORT, I CAN FELL A TIGHER SPOT FOR COMPRESSION BUT ITS NOT TO HARD TO PASS THIS LIMIT. THE SPARK PLUG IS IN THE ENGINE, MY QUESTION IS ON A HEALTY BRIGGS, EVEN A LAWN MOWER, IS IT POSSIBLE TO SPIN THE ENG BY THE TOP COOLING SCREEN, WITHOUT TOO MUCH EFFOR, I FEAR MY ENGINE HAS NO COMPRESSION. THE STARTER MOTOR IS BAD SO IM NOT ABLE TO CHECK OTHERWISE

phbots: I believe I remember, but am not sure, that I have successfully turned over, w/ one hand, my 8hp. craftsman (vert. shaft) riding mower eng. (plug installed) pressing on the flywheel air intake screen. I think it felt quite stiff, but then did turn over. If the tractor has a PTO out the front, I may be able to help you more specifically. When I first examined my 1960 700 (repowered w/ solid 8hp., circa 1970?), prior to buying it, I tool a plain piece of 1/3" hemp rope and wrapped it around the front PTO (it had a damaged key stuck in keyway, making this easier) and it spun relatively freely, and yet the little I've run the tractor, poor carb and all, it does seem to have good power, albeit w/ no implements attached. So if it spins over 2-3 revolutions, relatively easy, it may still be ok. (I've not yet checked the comp.w/ a guage). On the other hand, if it spins freely, that's a problem. Try it w/ some gas primed into the carb, or plug hole, but no more than a thimble full in the latter, as you don't want to "hydrolock" it which, in extreme cases (in automobiles, anyway) can bend the connecting rod. Just my two krona, Peter

The repair manual I have says to check the compression by turning the engine backwards. If you spin it in the correct direction The cam has an easy start lobe that holds the intake valve open just a bit longer so it is easier to hand crank. The manual says it would not be noticed when the engine is in normal operation. Scott

Briggs recommends a simple test for compression. "Spin" the flywheel backwards by hand, against the compression stroke. If there is enough compression to cause the flywheel to bounce back, there is supposedly enough compression for the engine to run. Pat