Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Looking at legacy XL

B112_son

I know this probably belongs in what's it worth but I thought it would get more exposure here. I've been looking and reading about the legacy XL for a while and found one locally. Problem is, while I see them listed for sale all over I don't know what they actually sell for. So I am asking for some input from any legacy owners or anyone who has input. The machine I found was sold 4 years ago by local dealer. It is the XL, 4X4, 27hp Kawasaki, 54" deck, 3 pt, and rear pto.  Machine has hdap tires all the way around and only 230 hours. It is one owner and in very good condition.  

So what say the experts. Can anyone help give me an idea of what I should pay? 

Probably sold new for 10-12k, and with the low hours, and if its condition reflects those low hours and was taken care of, I would guess it's still up there. IDK 8-9k?

I gave $5000 for my 05 diesel xl 4x4 with 500hrs. rear pto and 3pt two years ago. based on that and the others i have seen sell I would say that one you are looking at is in the $8000 range

Anything south of $8k is going to be a real competitive price. $7k would be a great deal.  

There are some steals out there, but they go real quick.  I spotted mine on Chicago Craigslist, and immediately called and sent a $1k deposit.  800hr, 04 Kawasaki, with RPTO/3pt, 60" deck, weight box, spare set of new shoes and loader.  I've yet to see one priced close and have never regretted taking the leap.  I also fetched an 05 diesel with higher hours...1300?  54" deck, 60" blade, 3pt/540, for $3200, if my memory serves me correctly.  It is enjoyed now by a member here.  I would not be afraid of higher hours on any of these.

The early Legacy's have become a real bargain.  I've been seeing those in the $3500 range, with loader, but I do very much prefer the XL.

Thanks for the replies. The machine is at the dealer that sold it the first time.  Owner traded in on zero turn. Dealer has all the manuals maintenance records, etc.  Machine really looks almost brand new. In fact when I drove past I thought it was a new one, when I stopped and looked, couldn't tell it was used until I turned the key to see the hours. I forgot it does have the ballast box and mulching kit.  Anyway dealer said they sold it originally for 16k. They have it now for $7500. This is still a little more than I am comfortable spending, but I am thinking of making them an offer that would include trading my prestige. 

What deck?  I enjoyed mowing with my 60", but the feedback I've garnered recently seems to indicate the 54" is the nicest cutting deck of them all.  Probably doubtful the previous owner 'upgraded' to a 61.  I tried a 48 for a short time, and it is much too narrow for a tractor this size, IMO.  Tough to control, and almost impossible to edge with, or maneuver around raised obstacles.  The 60" feels right at home, but reviews on the counter rotating blade seem mixed.

I do think my 54 under my current Prestige mows nicer than anything I've cut grass with.  I never tried the 54 that came with the diesel XL I had here for a short time...it was beyond mowing season.

The deck on the legacy XL is 54". As is the deck on the my prestige. I was kind of hoping for a 60" or 61" just to cut down on mowing time but with the 54" at least it is the same I have now. Also, from what I've read, the weight of the 60,61" is a lot to handle. Figuring the deck will come off fairly often 54" seems pretty ideal

The 60 is a breeze to mount/unmount.  I really can't imagine an easier deck to attach.  It's easier than the 54" on my Prestige.

I have heard the 61 is a huge pain.  The '17 61" is now a drive-over to address those concerns.

Yea the 54" on my prestige is a bit of a pain not as easy as the 42 on the b112 for sure.  A 60" deck would be ideal but at the same time coming across an XL that's 5 minutes away and priced reasonable, and this good of shape is hard come by in my area. I really want the Kawasaki, not interested in diesel. I also really like the low hours. Time to work on things is becoming less and less between work and 3 teenagers. Looking for reliable. 

I hear ya...they are incredibly comfortable and the Kawa is so smooth and quiet.  Ive tun a wide variety of front and rear implements off mine and it has some serious grunt.  My screw type splitter will stall it sometimes at half throttle, and the brrom can put a load on pretty good, but wide open its unstoppable.  I like having a liquid cooled engine now...runs cool at lower rpm, which is the norm for me.  I also piped heat into my cab and that flatout rocks.

I saw your write up about setting up the heat. Luckily down here if we get 4-5 decent snowfalls a year that's a pretty snowy winter. I've always just used the blade without issue except for once, we got 2' of snow in one Christmas Eve. 

Have you been snowed on yet?  It looked like snow up in Michigan.