Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
CleanBee

mystery grill

CleanBee
I came accross a grill in my dads garage. It has the same shape and look as the early b-10, but the mesh is not as fine. Also, it has a slight curve out. The mesh is dull not shiny. I dont know if is is original or made. It looks original. Looks like it was never on a tractor. I know he use to bring alot of things home from allis for free. He has a new boxed composter in the basement. Fits a tractor he dosnt have? This grill has been a subject with my brother and I for over a year. Complexing? Neither of us know. Maybe you do? thanks, Dan

RonT
CleanBee: Could it be a grill for the 1959-1961 Model 700? Can you post a pic? If it is, I might be interested. Unfortunately, I have no grill whatsoever and, having never seen one in person, am limited to comparing the pics in the brochures Ken has posted, some of which are quite clear, I believe. That or pics in the Gallery? As they say "downtown," "Thanks NoHow", (i.e., "Thanks no matter what!") Peter

Kent
Model 700s, 725s and B-1s used a fine flexible mesh, compared to the later models. Also, the grille frame uprights were round instead of flat, and the mesh simply was curled around those round posts, where it was secured. B-10s and Landlords went to flat grille frame uprights and the grille was bent at a 90-degree angle on each side to mount on the outside of them. Then, chrome strips went on top of the mesh, held on by screws into the uprights, securing the grille... It's common for the B-10 and Landlord type grilles to crack right where they were bent 90-degrees. This sounds like someone may have made their own grille, using a larger mesh than the factory....

CleanBee
Peter, The grill of question continues down past the engine crank and the two side tabs are about 1 1/2" wide and run the length of the grill. It looks shape wise exactly like the b-10's except for a slight curve. I do not have a digital camera, other wise I would post a picture. Looking at the pictures of the 700's, the mesh does look identical and so does the bend. But, I beleive the grill on the 700's does not extend this low, nore do the sides that far back. I dont know? Just, do not know.