Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Winter ready

Mike_H

Ive been getting ready for winter the last couple weeks.  Mounted the blower last week.   First time I've run a Mid-PTO.  Picked up the correct hitch and noticed that it didn't fit.   Tried another hitch I had at the house,  and that didn't fit either.   Got to looking, and it appears that the factory installed the front axle pivot backward.  The bolt threads were interfering with the hitch.   I flipped it around,  and I still had a problem.   I think the frame is a little tweaked at the attachment points.   I've had problems with pins going through holes every time I install an attachment.   Couple bumps with a hammer  and the pins went in.  The rest of the installation went pretty easy.  

Last year,  I had wide turf tires on the front of my old tractor.   The steering was terrible, even with the weight of the snow blower up front.   Slid all over.     I found some tri-ribs at the end of last season, thanks to Rokon.  They've sitting on the shelf since I got them.   Needless to say, they went on the tractor for this winter.  I've also been wanting some high traction tires.   Not just for the winter, I have some yard projects planned for next year...Tilling, grading, etc.  Looked for some used ags for a while,  and couldn't find any deals.  I also had a spare set of wheels sitting around from another deal...SO, I sprung for some new Carlisle Tru-Powers.  23 x 8.5 - 12, so they should dig a little better than the 10.5 " wide turfs.  They came in today, so of course, I HAD to mount em up.  I tried to buy a mini tire changer from harbor freight, but they were out in town...I guess its prybars for me.  What a wrestling match!   I worked up quite a sweat stretching those buggers over the rims.

Dang, but they look good!  Especially with the tri-ribs up front.  The narrower width is just what the Dr. ordered for my 36" snowblower too.  They should be inside the widthc of the blower.  We don't typically get enough snow to fill the 42" here, so I've stuck with the 36".  Snows frequently, but generally not more than 6" at a time.  

Anyway, here are the pics!  I gotta pull the wheels back off next year, and paint em pearl gray like my late model wheels.  They look SO much better than the off white.  

20161125_191808.jpg

20161125_191831.jpg

20161125_191915.jpg

• Like 1

dOd  You will like the tri-ribs.  I have them on my blade tractor (not on my snowthrower tractor yet) and they make a big difference.

• Like 1

Good looking setup.  Should work well.

I'm planning to do the last of the leaves today, then get ready for winter.

As far as side sliding, I have had much of an issue with the snowblower tractor, but the blade tractor is another issue. 

My side sliding issue isn't so much when I'm in the driveway, but more when I'm "off-roading"  I blow some paths around the backyard for the dogs, so they track less snow in the house...they also concentrate their "presents" so they are easier to pick up throughout the season...Spring Poo cleanup is nasty, so the more I can get throughout the winter, the better off I am!  

Nice setup Mike! I've got the blower hooked up on my 7016H and I'm just waiting on the snow. Hahaha. I don't have the snow cab on yet but, its in the attic waiting to come down and get assembled.

Great setup.  We're ready too after a weekend of final vacing the leaves, putting all of that away, cleaning up the deck for storage, oil change and overall prep for the winter season.

IMG_1812.JPG

IMG_1813.JPG

The cab top and doors I got about 5 years ago.  I had to fabricate the lower half of the front to fit the Sovereign and some brackets for rear mounting.  I think it is off of a PowerMax series, that's the only place I have seen a cab like this, and only once before.  Came with the wiper motor, amber light.  I added a defroster and inside dome light.  It keeps me pretty comfortable.  It didn't take too many seasons of blowing without a cab to start looking for one. 666

You got that right...The tractor is better than my old walk-behind, but only cuz I get the job done faster.  Contemplating building a cab for mine.  I've done some upholstery work on my boat, so I already have the sewing machine and what not to sew the heavier materials.  I can make a roof mold out of foam and fiberglass...and maybe order the original cab co front windshield New...It would be cool, but a WHOLE lotta work.  Plus I would have to bend all the framework up...

Hello, Whenever I use my plow or snowblower I put a weight on the rear lift, Kind of like the stinger weight used on the FDT's

I use a piece of 1 inch shaft about 10-12 inches long  and hang 2 -10lbs weights on it. It helps counter balance the weight of snowblower and slow the dropping action of the hydraulic cylinder . 

Thanks Ken in Mi

20161130_150215.jpg

20161130_150226.jpg

having the guys putting the sno cab on the 720 and the rear weight bucket and chaines. the cab is home made and about 6years old but works great. at least its ready for upstate ny snow if we get any lol

snow cab 001.JPG

snow cab 002.JPG

snow cab 003.JPG

snow cab 004.JPG

snow cab 005.JPG

snow cab 007.JPG

I added to my preperations necessary tonight.  I've been keeping my eyes open for a hard top cab...Found a couple, but hasn't been "right."  Right happened this morning.  I got a CL alert, and called right away.  It also was posted on this site (you guys are FAST).  Anyway, talked to the wife...she said its an early Christmas Present!  It was about 130 miles, round trip after work, but it was worth it.  The cab is in excellent shape.  I'll work on giving it a bath and getting the couple minor spots of rust cleaned off this weekend, hopefully mount it up.  I already know of one change I want to make, and that is to have the back mount to the rear deck pivots, rather than drilling holes.

Guy I bought it from said it wouldn't mount to his 1998 P/S Sovereign.  Since I have a 1997 P/S Sovereign, that worries me a little...but where there is a will, there is a way.  Its gonna fit...I don't have a P/N tag, but I believe it to be a 1690496 or 1667343.  Those models were for the 7100 series tractors...the changes to the latest model Sovereign are so minor...Its gotta work.    

20161130_200340.jpg

20161130_200526.jpg

20161130_200352.jpg

20161130_195545.jpg

Side View.jpg

Looking at the cross bar and the mount to the dash board, it looks like a cab for the 7000 series tractor, and not for the 7100 series.   But I one for a 700 series AC on my 900, it works pretty good with the only modification is that the running boards on the 7100 are higher than the 7000.  So you can either mount the front legs under the running board or put a spacer under the cross bar that mounts to the fender deck, which I did.   The only other issue is the hood width is wider and you can't zip the zippers on the gas tank filling flap all the way.

• Like 1

Hey Mike, 

Thanks for the info.  I'm pretty sure you're right about this cab being for a 7000 series.  I have most of it mocked up now...Posted a big picture gallery on the simpletractors facebook page.  I need to make a couple brackets for the rear to do as you said and space it up about an inch.  Also have to make some longer dash spacers and drill a couple holes in each running board.  The canvas all seems to fit pretty well as it sits right now.  

This is a link to the shared gallery in google photos.  I don't know if the link will work or not..

https://goo.gl/photos/U6xepd937Xooggw99

Mike,

I was able to view the pics at the link provided.

That cab is very different from the mfg#1693269 cab I have mounted on my 75th.  The modification you're doing for the rear support that attaches to the seat deck  is similar to what's used on the #1693269 cab.

Do you have the install manuals for the cab?  I think I have an electronic copy of it as well as the newer cab.

I'll upload them (and other Snow Cab items) to the site for reference for you or others

Edited by PhanDad