Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1993 sovereign engine issues

dave7016

I have a '93 sovereign with a Kohler Command.  CH18s spec#62513.  It burns oil badly.  Tried head gaskets.  Leak down test verified engine needs a rebuild or to be replaced.  No idea the amount of hours on this motor....as I bought unit used 3 years ago.  Just sick of fouling the plugs.  Is there a direct engine replacement.  I can not find a Kohler direct replacement but I have no idea which ones will fit.

I may Remove the motor and tear it down but if it needs to be bored with pistons it is probably smarter to get a new motor....I need to due a cost analysis but it's kinda hard when I can't find this engine for sale online.

thanks Dave

Although there are no factory spec engines are available anymore, these 3 eBay listings will work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kohler-18hp-624cc-Command-Pro-Engine-UTV-taper-shaft-CH620-3034-/261615082784?hash=item3ce9795d20:m:mI8chmqCNGo6CJ25_ijYyug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CH620-3057-Kohler-Command-18HP-Horizontal-Shaft-Engine-1-X4-Shaft-/261906027171?hash=item3cfad0d2a3:g:k8cAAOSwwbdWKTlw

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18hp-Kohler-Engine-Tapered-for-Cub-Cadet-UTV-Command-CH620-3034-/131660474476?hash=item1ea793686c:g:el0AAOSwA3dYPD5m

With all the engines, you'd had to do some parts swapping from your old engine (blower housing with chopper screen, engine adapter, etc) similar to what I did with a SunStar spec Command.  Note some of the engines have tapered shafts which shouldn't be an issue with a stock Simplicity setup. 

Current Kohler Command engine replacements are: 1) 18HP CH620-3110, -3126, $1351 or 2)  20HP CH640-3110, -3126, $1717. Prices quoted are from Pats Small Engine Plus.

I believe the CH640-3110 (replaced by -3126) is a Simplicity SunStar spec engine and would also need to have some items swapped over.

Not sure about the CH620, but I doubt it's a "drop in" and go. 

Its worth looking into rebuilding the engine. I needed a Command for my 75th anny tractor. It had a triad in it. I found a used Command off of a golf ball retrieval machine for $125. I made few changes, just the blower housing,  chopper screen, and replaced one of the valve covers to eliminate the mechanical fuel pump that interferes with the hood.  

Anybody looked at the kohler CH620-3050, a direct replacement for the triad on the grasshopper Z turns, grass screen chopper, pulse pump, shaft adapter all there. Looks like a simple swap for the command, or the triad. Cheapest I've found around $1500.00 that's shipped.

As best I can tell, that engine would be a direct bolt in after you swapped some parts from your current engine to the new one.  Only question I have in reviewing the engine web page, is why is "Shortblock: 24 522 127" listed under "Description"?  Are you really purchasing a short block?  I don't know anything about the selling company; hence I'm always suspicious.  If it's just a shortblock, IMO there are better choices available.  

Assuming it's a complete engine, what you would need to do would be almost identical to what I did to prepare the SunStar spec engine I installed in my 2nd 75th Sovereign.  I documented at the begging of this post:

http://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/51265-kohler-triad-replacement-command/

In addition, you should consider buying a replacement "oil fill" valve cover if the one on the existing engine has the old style gasket.  Maybe a new pulse fuel pump if you want "all new".

Before you install that new Command, I recommend you also update the ignition coils.  There have been 2 or 3 revisions of the ignition coils for these Kohler Commands over the years since the Simplicity Sovereign and SunStar spec's..  The latest is the Kohler 25 707 03S MDI conversion kit. It is ~ $85 from OPEengines.com or a little cheaper on eBay.  Also be sure that the replacement engine has the current head gaskets (24-841-01S).  You may also want to wire in an SPST momentary OFF switch into the circuit that controls the idle stop solenoid.  That is a sure way to end the shutdown backfire issues with these engines.

Edited by CarlH
Added info.

This is the CH 620-3050 replacement engine for the triad on the grasshopper Z turn. Other than the muffler being wrong looks to be the same as the command on the Sovs. Looks like with some wiring changes, different drive shaft and hockey puck it would be an easy swap for the triad. If you check out Bill's (Phan Dad) post probably be even simpler. This is the cheapest site I've found, under $1500.00 shipped.  

http://www.steambrite.com/kohler-18hp-command-horizontal-engine-ch6203050-moridge-grasshopper-p-14715.html