Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Possible New Addition

Smolenski7

I've been looking for a very basic project to occupy some of my time over the next month or two and came across a 1995 Broadmoor with a 14HP Single Kohler Command and a 38" deck.

The owner says it runs and cuts, but could possibly need a new coil and definitely a head light lense...he says the harness is in good shape.  I would plan on making these repairs, plus give it a thorough tune up, and probably change the transmission oil, refurb the deck, and make any other repairs that are necessary.

He's asking $200 and that includes a double bagger and turbo.  In the end, after I work on it a bit, what might this machine be worth?

If its got nice paint and seat, you fix the headlight (which is still available I think, but pricey), you're looking at a 500-600 dollar mower...maybe.  Its on the low end of power and deck size.  

My brother and I got the garden tractor (14 GTG) version of what you're looking at for 150 bucks a couple years ago.  It was a gear drive, 14 HP with a 44" deck.  We had to put a bit of work into it, but its a nice mower for the price.   

Does it have the foot controlled hydro or the dash handle hydro?  

I think if it has the dash handle hydro it's a sealed unit & you can't change or add hydro fluid.  Others will chime in & verify or tell me I'm all wet.

Two friends of mine had dash handled broadmoors & they were parted out due to worn out hydros.

Be sure you put the hydro thru it's paces .  I have seen a ton of this year tractor with bad transmissions. That being said 200 is a great deal if it checks out good.

It's a dash mounted  controlled hydro.  I've never used a tractor like that before.  Everything I've used has either been gear drive or foot controlled.

Too bad about it possibly being a sealed unit, I would love to simply just add some oil to ensure the next owner some life.

When he says it needs a new coil or a tune up, what makes him or you say that?  Does it just run poorly?  I have had two of these Kohler Commands that have sheared the flywheel key and are out of time.  A 69 cent key and they run like a top.  Just a heads up.  Good luck!

21 hours ago, Brettw said:

When he says it needs a new coil or a tune up, what makes him or you say that?  Does it just run poorly?  I have had two of these Kohler Commands that have sheared the flywheel key and are out of time.  A 69 cent key and they run like a top.  Just a heads up.  Good luck!

Edited by Smolenski7

He said that a rat got at the coil and frayed the wires. However, he also said that it starts up and still cuts grass no problem.   I've never had to replace a coil before, never having done it, it makes me a bit nervous. I'm a teacher by trade, not a mechanic.

That looks like the Broadmoor 12.5 I bought probably14 years ago. The original Briggs Vanguard had thrown a rod, so I put in another Vanguard, but a 14HP.That tractor cuts nice, drives nice, I love it. No problems with the driveline.

So I drove an hour+ north to check out the tractor, and left empty handed.  The guy was certainly very honest and pretty knowledgeable too, but as soon as I put the transmission into gear it sounded like I should shoot it and put it out of its misery. 

It started up nicely and for a 21 year old tractor it had very little rust, and what there was, was insignificant.  The headlight assembly was missing, the dash handle to put the tranny into gear was a little tough to move forward and reverse, and the parking brake definitely needed a look at, but overall for a 1995 tractor it was pretty good.....except for the transmission.  I was never planning on keeping it for myself, and in with a little time and money it would have been much better, but I couldn't take a chance on the transmission....that really had the potential to cost me some $$$.

Something about those year trannys ...I am not one bit surprised . Sorry to hear about the issues but at least you found out now instead of latet.