Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Powermax and Allis window motors

720nut

With the problems that Merle has had with his blower decided to get mine up and running this is what I ran into.

First  one is of the new motor has a dead short, bought as new  and found out it's a Cardone rebuild with armmeture shorted first time it was tried.

Second and third are old motor as water got into and rusted everything up.

Tore both apart as they didn't work anyway, so called new one was bought last fall and I never got around to getting it functional, guess I'm just out the $75 that I paid for it. One thing for sure I'll not buy another Cardone rebuildand will guesstion any electricl part I buy from now on.DSCN1090.JPG

DSCN1088.JPG

DSCN1089.JPG

Oh, brother.  Not a good product at all.

I got a late 90's early 2000's GM Left front / Left rear (drivers side) salvage motor, as well as one I ordered before pulling the salvage one.  If you go salvage or new route like I did on a modified motor, you will need the plug in pigtail.  Make sure you get it with the  salvage motor, as NAPA wanted 35.00 for the pigtail itself new. I had asked the salvage guy before I pulled the pigtail what the cost would be, and was told 10.00.  Was just going to take the pigtail, but found I could get the pigtail and the motor for 20.00, so took both.

Minimal modification - just needed a 1/2" spacer between motor and blower mount on each bolt, plus had to drill new holes in blower mounting bracket for 2 of the bolts.

User on another forum says a Jeep rear window motor is an exact fit.  

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg1990's GM gear motor new on eBay 23$ delivered. Small mods works great. Just soldiered wires onto spades filled cavity with silicone to keep moisture out.

Also modified right angle gearbox. Installed grease zerks to lube inner bearing without taking it apart. Hoping for white Christmas!

Hey Micheal, sure looks nice. I was using a 74 chevy motor as it was a direct fit  but I'll look at the 90"s and see what I can find.

This is more of a play toy as I have a couple plow trucks.

I'm not sure as to the ammeture  will need to see if they are good or not both showed a dead short?

Thanks Bob any idea on how to check armature?

I'm going to start looking for newer motor as the ones I've tried are way to costly

31 minutes ago, 720nut said:

Thanks Bob any idea on how to check armature?

I'm going to start looking for newer motor as the ones I've tried are way to costly

I think you have to take it to an electrical shop and have it checked with a "growler", It's been a long time.

Ok thought you might know.

The motors you are using RH or LH ?

Just looked at several on Ebay look like there China made and Cardone new unit so said was actually rebuilt that I bought, just not sure what to buy.

I've already spent way to much trying to get this to work about to seek a different approach to this,

I dont't mean to threadjack, but how are you guys running electric motors running the wires and switches?  Are you using a separate control box (which is the method I'm thinking about) or putting the switches in the dash, running a harness to the front of the tractor, and then building a pigtail for the blower?

Edited by Mike_H

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a newer motor considerably more than ebay but new.

Here are a couple of pictures of what I have, the 74 motor was a direct replacement but can't seem to find any that work , Newer motor has smaller gearbox and a gear

Just need idea as to how to connect gear to third picture

DSCN1121.JPG

DSCN1122.JPG

DSCN1124.JPG

Edited by 720nut