Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Weatherman said.....

SmilinSam

.......1-2" of wet snow mostly 20 miles north of me.

Well...5-6" on the ground and still counting:J

DSCN1058_zpse1klrrgj.jpg

Good thing I got all the snow equipment ready and got all the remaining leaves vacced up yesterdaydOd

• Like 1

And I thought only Phila weather people got it wrong. 

Their excuse is "it's hard to predict snow in the region due to the interaction of the mountains and Atlantic ocean with the weather systems". 

What's their excuse there?

They are weather people - don't need a reason to be wrong - (most of the time, it seems)!    LOL!  We have at least 4 inches here in Central Wi.  Snow plow just went by - gotta be a record this time of year around here!

Probably two here and still coming down, got the blower on 720 but drive is gravel and hasn't froze.

Plowed it with truck last year this time and had to put gravel back come spring.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 9:32 AM, 720nut said:

Probably two here and still coming down, got the blower on 720 but drive is gravel and hasn't froze.

Plowed it with truck last year this time and had to put gravel back come spring.

I hate when it rains & soaks my driveway up before it snows. That usually makes for a heavy snow as well.  The tractor spins out and the chains dig divots in the drive. And the snowblower is REAL efficient at throwing crushed limestone into the yard!
So I made taller shoes for the blower.  When muddy, it carries the blade high enough to not throw (much) rock.  When frozen, it leaves a couple inches of snow on the ground, which is no problem. You can kinda see the taller shoes here.
I use the walk-behind on the concrete apron; it gets down to bare concrete.216 w Snow Blower.JPG

This was a few  years ago.

Tractor & Drift.jpg

Ya'll do realize that weather service has "10" people in the backroom and if they all agree then it will be so 100%,

if not then 4 say yes and 6 say no then we get 40% chance and so on. And they want you to think they are educated.             Just my $.02

We have had at least a foot this week, mostly off of the lake.  First 5" melted to a 1" crust and the next 6 was fluff.  They say 3-6 more Sunday.  So far they have underestimated each snow here.

That's Crazy Josh...we're about 45 miles apart, and I haven't seen anywhere near a foot.  Yesterday, my drive was clear when I got home from work.  I haven't touched a shovel OR my tractor.  Might have to do something today...but only because I want to...  

I got another 5 in the driveway this morning.  I dropped the kids off at my folks at gunlake and they have probably two-thirds of what we've got here.  At work in Wyoming  we  have had very very little. A dusting now and then.  Just depends how it comes in off the lake and it seems like we've been in The Sweet Spot. It's real fluffy though so it tends to settle but this morning I have 14 inches on the deck. The weather Guru on TV says we can expect around 10 more inches before Monday. I normally don't believe them but they've underestimated everything for where we are so far.

20161210_085934.jpg

Just keep it up there in Michigan, We have had about a i" they are saying 1" to 4" Sunday. Just got home from Florida Monday so I reeally don't like this cold weather and the are saying single digits by the end of next week.

Spent the morning in Holland and they have probably half as much as we do here. There's a point south of Jamestown and east of 8th ave coming down out of Ottawa County where the snow really starts to pick up.  This Lake Effect pattern has been more like a typical January. Haven't had that many snowy Decembers in the past few years. Forecast looks colder and snowier going into next week

Well big difference 24 hours makes over three and coming down hard, maybe they hit it today?

Gonna go plow a few to try and stay ahead of it.

Blower's on 720 so will play when I get back.

Swapped the blower onto the XL this morning...measured 9" in the drive.  They are calling for 9 more today and its coming down at a good clip.20161211_090947.jpg

Snow is giving the dog a hard time so I hade to dig him a path finally on the back porch.

20161211_092414.jpg

Had 5"-6" this morning, might have to take care of it again later too.  I'm REALLY digging my set-up.  I can go full speed up my drive and the old girl just sits on the governor and throws the snow further!  The tri-ribs and narrow Tru-powers are digging in too...haven't needed chains yet.  I can feel a little slipping, but not too bad.  Don't really have any hills to speak of either tho.  

Best part is not feeling like the abominable snowman when I'm done...Next year, the cab is getting a glass windshield and wiper though...its tough to see through the plastic once it gets some snow on it.  My street is busy enough that I need to pay attention for cars.  The drivers are idiots...I have a stop sign at my driveway, and I can't count the number of times I've seen cars slide into my yard...either while I was out there, or the tracks later.  

20161210_133214.jpg

Edited by Mike_H

Glad to hear you have a machine thats blowing your mind:J:J

Im not a huge fan of going overboard on lights...think theres a point where gaining safety through visibility to traffic becomes a distraction to drivers, even at distance...but you may be well suited for a roof mounted strobe.  A rear work light is a must IMO.  Most of my snow work is in the evening after dark.  Helps folks see your rearend and helps me see what Im backing up near and what sort of results Im getting from my broom or blower.

16 minutes ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

Glad to hear you have a machine thats blowing your mind:J:J

Im not a huge fan of going overboard on lights...think theres a point where gaining safety through visibility to traffic becomes a distraction to drivers, even at distance...but you may be well suited for a roof mounted strobe.  A rear work light is a must IMO.  Most of my snow work is in the evening after dark.  Helps folks see your rearend and helps me see what Im backing up near and what sort of results Im getting from my broom or blower.

Ha...Nice pun, Josh.  The strobe is something I may yet add, as well as a rear work light.  As with you, most of my snow removal is in the morning, before work, or in the evening, afterward.  Its dark at both of those times....

• Like 1

Woke yesterday to 1/2" of that white stuff. The real test comes up mid week, when the freezing rain, and sleet are expected. I think we are getting the "leftovers" coming down from Ontario. I half expected a reply from Dan in upstate NY, or Fishnwiz over near twin-cities.

Wayne

15 hours ago, GrincheyOne said:

Woke yesterday to 1/2" of that white stuff. The real test comes up mid week, when the freezing rain, and sleet are expected. I think we are getting the "leftovers" coming down from Ontario. I half expected a reply from Dan in upstate NY, or Fishnwiz over near twin-cities.

Wayne

Sounds like you need to sell the snowblower and invest in a salt spreader!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• bradperc
    • AC710
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts