Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

alternator DIY on a Landlord

Bufford

I have been having problems with a tired/old motor and a worn out starter/generator. I decided to re-engine my 2110 with a larger 12 HP motor. I found one pretty cheap that is pretty tight that had a starter on it. I made brackets and installed a chevy internally regulated alternator. Was wondering if this would be of interest to anyone for a do it yourself column for this site. The 30 amp alternator will be nice for all of the crap I try to run off of my tractor. The generator was only putting out a few amps....at best. A energetic type could add an alt. to a starter/generator system and use the alt. for charging. Pretty simple. This is probably too simple of a project for this site, I was just wondering. Anyone interested?

Bufford: Speaking (at least) for myself, nothing electrical is "too simple" if it saves me from a) burning up the wiring in my tractor, or b) not having to do trial and error "engineering" myself. I would be very interested in seeing how to add an alternator to the starter-gen. system on my 700, as I would like to have the extra amps. for big lights, etc.... Please, continue.... Peter

Might work OK but watch the rpm of the alternator. Driving it from the large diameter pulley on the engine will turn it really fast. belt velocity = engine rpm * PI * engine pulley diameter. Alternator rpm = belt velocity/(PI * alternator pully diameter). Calculate it out using 3600 engine rpm and diameters for the engine and pulley diameters. I think you will be surprised at the result. Roy

right Roy, I put a smaller diameter pulley on the engine for this reason. The pulley I put on it is about a 5 inch diameter and I figured that it should be OK since on a V-8 the diameter of the drive is something like 8 inches, the rpm of the V-8 is something like 3500 rpm....I should be good to go.

depending on how much you want to spend, I have seen the inverters up to 3000 watts. Assuming that there are no electrical losses in the inverter, you are going to be pulling 25 amps (3000 W/ 120 V). I would expect something like 10% losses which mean that you are going to be pulling 27.5 amps out of your alternator. A 78 amp alternator wont even hardly notice it. Problem is that the big inverters run $700. Pricey.

Bufford, Very good. My apologies if my response was too basic. You obviously know what you are doing. Roy

Bufford: I was too lazy to look up "inverters" on Northern's website, but if one mounted a 30 amp. alternator (or 75 amp., like on my '88 F150) how much output could one get from a DC/AC inverter? IOW, could one simulate an on-board generator, for the purpose of running hand tools off the Simplicity? I'm assuming it would run a drill, but not a circular saw. Comments from the Electrical Gurus would be most appreciated! Thanks, Peter