Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ROTOTILLER REB UILD

Kent

Get ready for a greasy job! I pulled one apart last winter. There are three roller chains driven by sprokets. On the one I had(since sold) the botton roller chain had a broken link, which I replaced using bulk roller chain from a farm equipment dealer.

The hardest part could be getting the tines off. If they are jammed in bad it may require a torch. Once you get the tines off it is just a matter of unbolting and pulling bearings/retainers. Lots of grease in there. My Simplicity dealer wanted $250 for a new set of chains and sprockets. As I recall the bulk chain and a connector link cost me about $15. Good luck!

THE ROTOTILLER THAT CAME WITH MY 3314V IS IN MODUS UNOPERATUS (DONT WORK). I KNEW THIS WHEN I BOUGHT THE WHOLE UNIT BUT DIDN'T CARE CAUSE OF PURCHASE PRICE
THE PROBLEM IS THE MAIN DRIVE PULLEY ROTATES FREELY BUT THERE IS NO CORRESPONDING ROTATION IN THE TINE SHAFT. I WOULD LIKE TO TEAR IT APART AND WORK ON IT THIS WEEKEND BUT AM CURIOUS IF THIS MAY JUST BE DRIVE KEY HAS FELL OUT INTERNALLY OR WHAT. HAS ANYBODY EVER RIPPED ONE APART TO KNOW WHAT THE INNARDS LOOK LIKE? ANY RESPONSE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. THIS IS A SIMPLICITY UNIT I JUST DON'T KNOW THE MODEL NUMBER.

The two shafts are connected by a roller chain. The chain is probably broke. Take the tines off, take the covers over the tines off, split the case. GE

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO GUYS. NOTHING LIKE HAVING A FLASHLIGHT WHEN YOU ARE IN THE DARK. YOUR INSIGHTS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED. BEST REGARDS, SCOTT