Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Check out this Ebay auction

MPH

Can you believe this was canceled 2 minutes before the end of the auction. You have to look at the bid history[A href='http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2006226960']http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2006226960[/a]

The auction wasnt due to end until Wednesday. He cancelled the auction after he cancelled all the bids. Your supposed to do it that way when you want to end an auction early. He got back to me once with questions and then was supposed to get back to me again Friday and I never heard from him again. Strange. Something didnt seem right. CHEETAH.

Cheetah: I wrote to this seller almost immediately, but never got a response. I was asking him if the trac. had hyd. lift (I thought I could see the handle, and I thought that hyd. lift might have been STANDARD for 1967--anybody know?). So I was surprised to see you got a response at all, as I didn't. Dutch, I'm w/ Woody here. I think, in the absence of extenuating (personal, not economic) circumstances, folks should do their private selling BEFORE hitting ebay, and once "on the block," stay committed to it, as the whole purpose of a "reserve" is to protect the seller from underselling, as was noted. If he didn't do his reserve homework prior to the auction, oh well.... If I'm making an offer, I'm prepared to go through w/ it, am allocating funds to it as opposed to other projects, etc..., and he/she should respect that by not pulling out.... To me, unless there was some dire personal circumstances here, it's just another example of bad parenting (by the seller's parents) resulting in a lack of respect for others in the offspring. But then, as I'm 40, I've had the benefit of being around some (older) Americans of character, so my expectations are concomittently higher than they would otherwise be.... In fact, I'm confident you would not conduct an auction as this seller did, just on principal, so I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, so I'm thinking you're just being diplomatic here, another fine character trait, of course! Speaking of character, I have to say, I've been monitoring a 6x6 amphibious ATV site, (as someone is alleging giving me one of these machines--not yet included in my "Cylinder Index Count! LoL) and as one writer noted, it's "75% whining" and backbiting on that site. Arguments over which brand/transmission is best (both seem to have their drawbacks--one apparently reverts too easily to "3 wheel drive" while the other main type (skid-steer) seems fairly "unbrakable" when going down hills!--and it's pretty amazing how out of control they get, consistently. Much personal attacking, some limited profanity, mega intolerance. It is really "night and day" between their site and SimpleTrACtors, in that here there is consistently a spirit of respect, an attempt at good humor, and tolerance for the views of others. Which is why I feel I can "come down" on an issue honestly, and not fear some childish attack w/ be forthcoming. You may differ w/ me, Dutch, on this auction (the 2012) or any given point, but I'm pretty confident I will be learning something from the difference, (i.e., from your viewpoint) at the very least, and I can differ w/out fear of an outrigt attack. Which is not to say there is not a place for a sometimes biting, ironic wit here, but it's all in a good natured way. Kent, the officers and all should really be proud, IMHO, of how we conduct ourselves. Just my two krona.... Peter

Having trouble finding the right belts? Doesn't add up. Since he stated in the item description that it needs a new mower belt, he evidently hadn't planned on including belts in the first place. My guess is that someone offered him substantially more than he was getting on e-Bay. Will have to wait and see if he actually re-lists. Have had this happen to me before. When the item was not re-listed, I contacted the "seller" on two different occasions to inquire as to when the item would be re-listed. No response, and the item was never relisted, to my knowledge. Pat

Peter, You covered a lot of ground in the above post. Since you think the board is slow, I'll respond in new threads.

Woody, Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning? What deal? It was an auction that ended prematurely! How do you waste a "sniper's" time?

The deal is this: It's supposed to finish when the bidding is done, period. There are sometimes extenuating circumstances but not the belt bull. When people are strung along they are cheated. The reserve is there to protect those who see the bidding is too low. Sniping is not the lazy man's bidding method. I track the items of interest. I delete those going too high. I add items to replace those deleted. If he wants to sell outside the auction do so BEFORE placing it on the Auction block. He is inconsiderate and unfortunately that's becoming the norm in and out of Ebay. Ebay is the target today...Woody