Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine Choices

JonetteP

What is the most popular engine used to replace the b&s in the old b series riders? I have heard mention of an hb-118, or an hb-218. What is your preference?

MPH, I have lugged my 18 horse down more with the vacuum, than with the 42" snowblower. I can make the 18 horse lug while blowing snow, but usually if the snow is hard packed drift snow, or is very wet. It will also work plenty hard if I am moving snow that I have already blown. The county road basically travels through my building site. When I clean out along my machine shed, the only place to blow the snow is onto the county road. I then blow the snow off of the county road and down the riverbank. Moving that previously blown snow takes POWER! After about a two inch snow, I can't move fast enough to keep the blower full. I blade it into a strip on my driveway and then blow the strip away. That too, takes a lot of power. It seems that once you move snow, it is hard to move it again. Pat

Pat, You may want to experiment with different size vac impeller pulleys. I did, Kent did too, and it does make an improvement. I used a vari-pitch and just fined-tuned it until it suited my Kohler CH18.

I prefer the Briggs V-twin Vanguard. Smooth running, and a fairly simple installation, once you have gotten the "surprises" figured out. My opinion is not based on feeling that the Vanguard is any better than a Kohler or Honda, but I do feel that the Vanguard is just as good. As to price, the Vanguard is a little better value for the money than Kohler, and a lot better value than Honda. Parts availability is slightly better than Kohler, and also a lot better than Honda. The parts deal could be a regional thing, but not the price. As to horsepower, I don't think that anyone needs much more than a 16 horse in a B-series. Seems that this is more than enough power. In heavy pulling, the tractor will "spin out" long before it "powers out". One exception may be the vacuum. In heavy leaves, this even makes my "HB-218" lug down. Just my opinions. Pat.

What exactly happens during the slowdown? I've got the Big Ten and the B112 with the blowers and I was thinking they would work well. In a couple of weeks I'll find out but a little advance info can't hurt...Woody

My opinion is that they work very well. What I was referring to, is when I vacuum a heavy leaf cover. I don't notice much of a slowdown, but I can hear the engine really working, and work a lot harder than it does with the snowblower. I like the idea of a vari-pitch pulley. I could alter the speed according to what I am vacuuming. Pat.

Woody, I completely rebuilt my blower and installed new hoses. The system is very tight. But, even at WOT it didn't seem as though it was developing enough vacuum. When I sucked wet heavy leaf cover, the leaves would plug the hose, and the engine would lug. After installing a smaller (vari) pulley and increasing blower RPM, the thing screams. The hose seldom plugs, and when it does a couple of shakes and it's clear.

Pat, snow blowing can suck all hp up pretty easy also. Yesterday after I windrowed my "plowed" hardpack into the center of driveway, then put the blower on to get rid of it, I was pulling Hard in 1st gear, low end of the variable. Been told by shops in town my briggs 326431 is a 14hp but Sam says he just bought the same model # as a 16hp. Whatever the hp them 32cuin didn't want any more to do..MPH