Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydraulic hose fittings

rich_kildow

I'm getting ready to do my power steering install on my 7122 with Sunstar parts, Ray's kit, and obviously some custom hoses.  Anybody know what kind of fittings and length hoses need to be purchased  to do this job?  I had some custom ones made at O'Reilly when I installed my hydrolift, but those got expensive REAL fast.  It looks like there are 6 hoses and the T I'll need to find, based on the 1692856 power steering kit diagrams.  

Edited by rich_kildow
  • Like 1

This past spring I had to replace the return 1/2" on my log splitter, after 3 years they sprung leaks from bending. I originally tried washer hose from ACe, good price, bad results. So I wound up going to a hydraulic parts shop. Now we are talking sticker shock! but I got hose that will possibly last my lifetime! 3/16" steel mesh reinforced wall! No kinks as I raise/lower the ram-beam. Using the original stab fittings, I purchased new clamps ($3.50 ea). My point  here is spend now, or just wait for a failure out in the woods in the future. specially in extremely cold weather.Mom always said "buy good,have good"

Edited by GrincheyOne
correct typos

Doesn't much matter where you buy anything hydraulic related ain't cheap. Like stated spend it now instead of later, fix it right first time.  Just my $.02

Having had to do considerable hydraulic plumbing and repairs on my Power Tracs, I'd make a few suggestions:

1.  Use at least one "swivel fitting" per hose, and make that the final connector that you tighten up when you install the hose. Tracking your expenses, you'll likely find that the fittings cost you almost as much as the hose, especially if you use "off-the-shelf" hoses..  That's why custom made hoses are so expensive -- the expensive, specific crimp-on fittings, and the time (labor) to make the hose.  For things like the hydrolift hoses on a FDT, for example, there is no real alternative to custom-made hoses because the lengths are so short, the area is so confined, that you need exactly the right fitting, crimped on at the same orientation as the original in order to get a neat installation that keeps the hoses away from moving parts...

2.  You can readily use the "off-the-shelf" hoses from Tractor Supply or sites like Discount Hydraulic Hose, if you can get them in the correct lengths.  Up to a couple of inches too long can usually be dealt with, but too short never works. More than a couple of inches of additional length becomes a real challenge, because how do you route it to keep it away from moving parts, and how can you secure that additional length to make sure it doesn't move around when pressure is applied.  Hoses like to wiggle around when you apply or relieve pressure. They can contact a moving part, or they can rub something, eventually making them leak.

3.  The steering circuit likely operates at around 1250-1500 psi, at most, so you don't need the stiff, very expensive wire wrapped hoses rated for 3500 psi, or 5000psi for the double-wrapped ones.  In fact, you could likely get by with clamped on hoses, if you bought good hydraulic clamps -- but those clamps themselves can cause clearance issues.  But, you likely can't find lower pressure-rated hoses on the shelf in pre-made lengths.  In my experience the ones commonly pre-made are typically 3000-3500 psi rated. 

4. If you are in no rush to get it put together, you can do something like mock up all the hoses you need using an old 1/2" garden hose that you trim to the needed length.  Route it through and around all obstacles, cut to length, then measure how long that piece of garden hose is.  Take into consideration the specific fittings you need -- angles, male/female connectors, adapters, etc.  Premade hose lengths take into consideration the fitting in specifying the length -- i.e. a 24" hose is 24" end-to-end including the fittings.  Having mocked everything up and identifying the needed hose end fittings, you can then likely save a few $$ by ordering them online, or buying them all at one time locally. 

5.  Pay special attention to the fittings and connectors -- sketching the circuit and identifying all the fittings (male, female, angle, etc.)  for each hose helps.  I almost always find that I've made a mistake or need to run to Tractor Supply or wherever to get a fitting... usually because I've screwed up the M/F orientation, especially if I'm having to connect different sizes like 3/8" to 1/4" or something... 

Surplus Center is a great source for hydraulic stuff.  The prices are VERY good, if they have what you need.  I've bought over a half dozen hydraulic motors from them over the years -- they're half the price of local dealers or suppliers.