Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor of the Month - February 2017

SmilinSam

Tractor of the Month Contest

February 2017
This months contest will be :

"Low Budget Restoration"

Show us a tractor you picked up  and have restored with little money invested.

Keep in mind that in reality there is no such thing as a "free" tractor restoration. Parts( both used and new), paint, hardware, and all those other little things add up quick. Be truthful and honest in your presentation. If you don't have money in this or that part used in the resto, give us the story - tell us how you came to have no money in it. This contest is meant to challenge your writing skills and your story telling abilities.

Contest limited to the first 20 entries

Voters will choose the best overall entry and its presentation

Open to
All Simplicity and Allis Chalmers lawn & garden tractors as well as all other names made by Simplicity and/or Allis Chalmers

Please Note:

All pictures submitted to Tractor of the Month contests should be sized to 640x480 to maintain consistency and neatness in presentation

Also: If contest criteria calls for multiple tractors, please put all the tractors in one picture, rather than posting a series of pictures showing individual tractors. Its the only way to get all your winning equipment, for such a contest, in the picture on the Club home page

Tractor of the month contest guidelines

1. For club members and registered users, or those who have access to use the Show and Tell forum. This also includes all officers, moderators, and administrators.

2. The selection committee will determine each monthly contests criteria. Equipment that does not meet theme criteria will be disqualified by the committee and removed from the submission topic.

3. The tractors submitted can be a restoration, an original, a rescue, a modification, an extensive repair/rebuild - or as specified by the committee.

4. This contest is open for owners to enter their own tractors, or by having someone else nominate them - upon which owner must accept and post entry.

5. The contest is limited to the first 20 entries submitted. This due to the poll system only being able to accommodate 20 entries. Following the 20th entry, the contest topic will be closed to further entries. Votes will be taken in the normal time frame as stated below.

6. Post your entry as a reply to this topic. Narrative and pictures are required - This to tell its story, and to convince voters why it is deserving of being the next Club's tractor of the month.

7. You can enter a tractor/equipment multiple times (months), but it can only win once per year. Once that tractor has won, you cannot submit that tractor again for a year on any subject.

8. Each contest will have a entry submission period beginning the 15th day of each month and lasting to the 15th day of the following month. Once the submission period is over, the current nomination topic will be locked and the next opened.

9.Following each months submission period, a poll topic will then be opened and members will be asked to vote on the nicest tractor listed in the nomination topic. All members and registered users are eligible to vote. Vote will last for a period of two weeks , from the 15th day of month to the last day of each month. The new winner will be declared on the 1st of each month.

10. Wining tractors each month will be posted on the club home page for a period of one month, 1st day of the month to the last day of the month, and a Contest winners hat will be sent to the winner.

11. Please post only entries/nominees in this topic -- any other replies will be deleted.

12. All pictures submitted should be sized to 640x480 to maintain consistency and neatness in presentation. If contest criteria calls for multiple tractors, please put all the tractors in one picture, rather than posting a series of pictures showing individual tractors. Its the only way to get all your winning equipment, for such a contest, in the picture on the Club home page

13. Final vote results will be posted to Poll topic at the time the Poll topic is closed. These posted results are the official, and FINAL results that will determine the winner each month regardless of any further votes cast After the polls have been closed. This is stated because while replies cannot be made after a poll topic is closed, apparently votes can continue to be cast. Its a technical issue that we have to work around at the present time.

14. In the event of a tie, the following procedure will be in effect. The tied winners will share having their pictures posted on the Club home page, each having an equal amount of the months time in the spotlight. There will only be one hat awarded though, and so there will be a run-off vote between the tied members for the hat. This vote will last 2 weeks. The winner of this second run-off vote will receive the winners hat.

If a tied winner has already won a contest and a hat, the hat for the tied contest will automatically be given to other tied winner who has not won one yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, My first Simplicity was a 7119 (1690638) it is an early sovereign with a 48 inch deck .

I saw an ad on Craigslist “simplicity tractor $800” . I had been watching the ad for several weeks.

I contacted the seller and asked, what He would take for it? He replied $150 -200 so I said I would come look at it. It was about 70 miles away, so I convinced my BIL to use his truck & trailer to go pick it up. The location was a bit sketchy turn down dirt road 3 miles take a left, down dirt road go 1 mile

We get there and look at the tractor. It needs to be jump started to run and sounds rough.! The seller tells me the hydro drive is sluggish.& the tractor had been used for a landscape mowing co

so I ask again ,How much are you asking he said $150 -200 so I generously give him $200 .

We stop for lunch and BIL who was raised in the area ,shows me the lake where his family had a cottage & he learned fishing and Boating .

We get back , unload the tractor And I wonder what have I gotten into?

The engine had been changed to a KT17 series 2 engine with date codes of 1982,

The rear fender deck was bent and cracked , and the housing around the hydro pump fan is gone ,the blades of the hydro fan were bent ,so they would not hit the sagging fender seat deck .

The wiring was a mess , the hood was dented an paint was in rough shape .

On my first test drive around the yard it stopped running! I dragged it back to the shop and found a broken set of points !

It was about this time I discovered this amazing group!

So new points, plugs, and wires ,new belts an new hydro filter and fresh oil all around, the tractor runs smoothly, although could use a valve job.

I repainted the tractor , Having to weld the seat deck and the hood where they always crack .

The stripes on the hood and seat deck are painted on not decals.

I obtained a front plow and added an electric fuel pump. And have been using it for 5 years, and am often surprised at the capabilities of these old tractors.

All told I I estimate a total investment of $475.00

Thanks Ken in Mi

img_0174.jpg

img_0167.jpg

img_0171.jpg

fan 1.jpg

img_0166-0.jpg

img_0226.jpg

img_0265.jpg

plowing snow simp 7117.jpg

• Like 1

Bought this 5010LTD for $75  came with trailer and snowblower and a rear counter weight, ended up selling blower for $125 which gave me $50 to play with,went to local automotive paint store and got some color matched orange  1 can of black paint and touched up what was needed,polished everything else,also found the correct muffler from a free parts machine that I had,and now I have a tractor that I can honestly say is a free restoration,also with the extra trailer I painted that up to go along with my Homelite

0825131928ax.JPG

IMG_20160827_151203658.jpg

29961-1.jpg

Edited by bud119195

• SmilinSam locked this topic
  • SmilinSam unfeatured and unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Vote is now closed.

Results at time of closing were:

maxwood and his 719

bud119195 and his 5010 LTD

Congratulations to bud119195 for winning this months contest