Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis Chalmers B10 differential carrier bushing

Vagabond

Greetings! New to the forum and new AC B10 owner.  

These tractors are not so common here in the northeast so when I spotted one for sale locally I jumped on it, and I couldn't be happier. (Well, maybe a little happier).

The thing is that the differential carrier wobbles independently of the differential. On closer inspection I see that there is a perforated sleeve bushing lining the ID of the carrier/hub assembly and it is badly worn.  

If anyone knows the size of that bushing and a good place to source it, I would be much obliged!

Just to be safe, I will be measuring carrier and axle diameters.

So many awesome looking GT's on this site!  Some beautiful restorations as well. I think I'll stick to making this one complete and strong functionally.

My find included a simplicity 42 inch deck that is functionally rock solid and super quiet, and a gnarly spring tip plow with a rotting blade that I already put to use for grading and snow. And delivery!  All for under 3 bills.  

Ah! Must not fail to mention-            I discovered she has been re-powered with a 32 cubic inch, 16 Hp Briggs, model 326431 circa 1970. Solid running with no smoke.  Haha!!!  Looks like the front of the tractor wants to leap of the ground when I start her up! Well, I bought her to work, not to collect, so I'm okay with it.

Here she is in all her splendor:

IMG_4035.JPG

IMG_4037.JPG

IMG_4054.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks, 720nut. I think it will be a big help here moving the snow  at the end of the driveway and spreading topsoil for the new lawn come spring. I hope to pick up a grader blade and roller as well. 

• Like 1

Thank you Scott and gardenTrACtorguy! I have been to the Simplicity site but got confused. Do you think I could measure it up and order from Grainger or ASB? Thought I would try. I can't even identify the bushing on the parts exploded views. Most bearings the applicable parts lists say 'discontinued'.  Well, I'll try Simplicity again, and thanks for the link!

• Like 1

Welcome to the club!

I think you will come to realize those are much more plentiful in your area than you think. ;)

I can think of several members in Mass, Conn, RI, Maine, NH and Vermont area with more than one....

Your bearing should be 2153068SM

• Like 1

Awesome rokon2813!  Now see, I couldn't make that part out. It looks just like part 'M' to me.  So this would be a perforated or dimpled bushing like on the front axle, only bigger. 

Have you done the job? Do you know if I should order any other parts/seals before commencing the R&R?

Really helpful!  Thank you!

• Like 1

Nice illustration. My setup has the 'traction control' adjustment on the opposite, or left side, if I remember right. So, there are no bolts to compress a nylon bushing on the differential (right) side. I suspect that it is a single bushing that runs from the face of the hub through to the end of the carrier gear. Simpler job, no doubt. Does this make sense? Were there two versions? I think the tractor has had some frame part exchanges in the past, so you can't go by it's looks. Even the hood may be from a different version. 🤔

• Like 1

Nice illustration. My setup has the 'traction control' adjustment on the opposite, or left side, if I remember right. So, there are no bolts to compress a nylon bushing on the differential (right) side. I suspect that it is a single bushing that runs from the face of the hub through to the end of the carrier gear. Simpler job, no doubt. Does this make sense? Were there two versions? I think the tractor has had some frame part exchanges in the past, so you can't go by it's looks. Even the hood may be from a different version. 🤔

• Like 1

Part number 1657308, one of which is on eBay right now, looks a lot like what I have. May be the part, but I'm more of a fix what I have kind of guy. No $100 bushings for me. I appreciate your help!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Vagabond said:

Part number 1657308, one of which is on eBay right now, looks a lot like what I have. May be the part, but I'm more of a fix what I have kind of guy. No $100 bushings for me. I appreciate your help!

That one is for a newer tractor as it does not have the adjustment screws. The bushing that Dan (Rockon) listed above,  2153068SM, runs around $12.00 from Simplicity.

• Like 1

Hi Chris727.  That's just it. My B10 doesn't have the adjustment screws... on the side with the bad bearing/bushing. On my B10, the adjustment screws are on the side WITHOUT the differential.  So, either it's a late model B10, or it has a rear end out of something else, like a B112 maybe. I'm only guessing as I only just got the tractor, am new to the subject, and have been catapulted into the AC/Simplicity garden tractor realm. I greatly appreciate all the help!  And now I'm gonna go out to the barn and take a picture! 😀

• Like 1

Pics of my B10 hubs and differential orientation. The traction adjustment screws, (first picture) are on my left hand side as I sit on the tractor. The right side, where the differential is, has no adjustment screws. It is that differential side that has a worn bushing in the differential carrier.

IMG_4276.JPG

IMG_4278.JPG

• Like 1

The 2 bolts in your first picture are set screws in the left hub. The traction bolts referred to would be outside the wheel in the right hub. They should look like 2 extra wheel studs going in at a 45 degree angle in the center.

Look at this;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12984-Simplicity-Allis-Chalmers-Differential-drive-right-hub-early-/172412046859?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

• Like 1

That bugged me all night. I had a senior moment...  Here are the correct pictures:

1) The right hub/differential carrier showing nothing but a retaining collar and a zirk.

2) The left hub.

3) The terminus of the tube on the left side showing a retaining collar, two square head bolts and a zirk.

Am I missing something?

IMG_4282.JPG

IMG_4283.JPG

IMG_4284.JPG

• Like 1

Lovely... And such a dearth of information out there. You guy's have been great. Can any of you turn me on to a member that owns or has owned many models of the era?  

Was there a point at which controlled traction became a function of the differential itself?  

At any rate, I can measure for and order a bushing. That should be relatively easy. But I am curious about the traction control system.

• Like 1

I don't remember when they changed, but the earlier style that your tractor "should" have was controlled by the 2 bolts. They tighten down on 2 nylon plugs, that tighten on a nylon sleeve around the axle shaft. Tighter the bolts, less slippage.

The later diffs used springs inside the housing to control slip.

• Like 2

All of the B-Series had the adjustment screws.  The later style hubs had a much longer tube as I believe the axle was longer in the newer tractors.  I suppose they could have shortened the tube.

• Like 1

I took it out in the snow today to confirm that it does transfer power  from one side to the other. I will try to find out what model had the first instance of the springs in the diff. I should be able to find part numbers. 

• Like 2