Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gas in exhaust when starting

davidmoll

Guys, I have a 6216 tracor with a 16HP Briggs engine.  When I went to start the tractor last night a good amount of gas came out the exhaust (enough to make a stain on the garage floor about the size of basket ball hoop.  The tractor started and ran fine after.  Also I smelled a gas smell by the tractor all this week but see no apparent leaks.  Any ideas or help.  Hope it starts today as we are getting 6 plus inches of ssnow.

Thanks Dave

• Like 1

Will check for gas in oil.  I'll use a vise grip for today for fuel shut off where I intend to cut the fuel hose to install later.  Does tractor supply or local lawn repair place sell them or need to order from Jack's?  

• Like 1

You need to change your oil after you add a fuel shutoff valve and fuel filter.You most likely have gas in your crankcase and your oil will be thinned out with gas in it.

The valves are also at most auto parts stores and NAPA or any hardware store and are inexpensive.

Edited by fishnwiz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.  Thought I'd follow up on this problem.  Bought a shut off valve but haven't installed it.  No fuel in crankcase.  Tractor started right up the next day without any fuel coming out the exhaust and tractor does not smell of gas anymore.  Here is my theory which may be debunked.  I had a dead battery before switching it out and the first time I started I had the gas problem.  Is it possible that with no battery power to the fuel pump it would let gas flood the carburetor?? Or do you think I got lucky that the needle did re-seat in the carburetor bowl like its supposed to??  Also should I install the fuel shut off valve between the fuel pump and carburetor or before the fuel pump?

What do you think?  Big nor-easter coming tomorrow night.  Will let you know how it tractor starts up.

• Like 1

Most likely the needle seat stuck open for a bit.  If you had that much fuel in the cylinder, you DO have fuel in the oil. I'd change it just to be sure; 2 qts of oil is cheaper than an engine! Run a bit of Sea Foam in the next couple of tanks to clean things out.
Filter is a good idea, too, if there isn't one on it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Installed shut off and changed oil and you were spot on with gas in the oil.  I couldn't believe how much gas was in there and how thin the oil was and looked.  Tractor running much better now.  Thanks for saving my engine!!

Dave

• Like 2