Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

N.T.: Is It Just Me, Or Is It S-L-O-W Here...?

FrankieC

Everyone: Now I'll admit I've got "a lil tractor problem," in that I love to read this site daily, but I've finished all 140+ pages of back posts (reading just the ones which looked interesting, i.e., over 2/3 of them!) and I'm having some withdrawal symptoms. But is it just me or has the rate at which new topics are posted gone way down here? I can't tell b/c I'm used to reading the older posts as well as the new. Now, every day I look, hopefully, for "more volume," and it seems there are fewer posts than there used to be.... Am I just imagining this? Kent, you should know that, in my need for additional reading, I have yet to find this site's equal, or anything close, as far as tractors are concerned. If it's not too "out of line" to ask this here, can anyone else suggest some cool sites dealing w/ ATV's, AATV's, tractors, ultralights, old trucks or just generally cool things? SO'S I CAN BUY MORE TRACTORS: Has anyone become aware of a site wherein one could make $ from home, something legitimate that wasn't an MLM (Multi-level Marketing/"pyramid") scheme? Peter

Hmm, that post didn't go through. I'll take a chance and venture the reason is PNTS or Post NT Syndrome. After the big debate I clammed up for quite a while in protest and I am just in the past 2 weeks feeling recovered. The Homelite topic really helped me. Anyone else have a theory because I noticed a perceived drop off for a little while myself. Some of us have been stirring the pot to see what comes to the top...Today I happen to be a little grouchy as Dutch noticed so my posts were not very friendly I'm afraid..Woody

I just recieved (for free) a cub cadet model 76 and I went surfing on the net and I have yet to find a good site that is so easy to navigate. I need a manual and a diagram of the mower deck. No luck so far. Does anyone out there know of a cub site or where I can find a manual on this model? The antique studebaker club is a good site that has some great pictures of some real classics if your in to that type of old iron. Good luck John H

Peter, Here are a few theories for you. 1) Everyone's tractor problems have been addressed and corrected..... there are no more AC / Simplicity tractors that aren't running and working. 2) Every conceivable problem has already been discussed and answered, anyone with a problem only has to search the existing posts. 3) 2/3 of the members voting wanted *NT* posts. Since there have been few *NT* posts recently, those members have left or only read without participating or responding. 4) It's your imagination that the board has slowed down. 5) Woody returned. What's your opinion?

John, Studebaker..... weren't they made by a company that started out making Conestoga wagons, and then made cars that burned oil when new, and then made cars that looked like they were going when they were actually coming, and made Onan generators, and then merged the Packard, and finally nobody knew what they were driving?

Dutch: As always, I can look to you for a creative, fresh perspective. I have considered your theories, and will repsond below, in ALL CAPS, not to shout, just to distinguish my response from your theories. 1) Everyone's tractor problems have been addressed and corrected..... there are no more AC / Simplicity tractors that aren't running and working. THIS JUST DOESN'T SEEM POSSIBLE, AND MY TRACTOR IS NOT DONE YET! 2) Every conceivable problem has already been discussed and answered, anyone with a problem only has to search the existing posts. I CONSIDERED THIS, BUT AS I AND OTHERS CONTINUE TO ASK QUESTIONS FOR WHICH EXTENSIVE THREADS ALREADY EXIST (YOU'RE GOOD AT DIRECTING THESE INDIVIDUALS, I MIGHT ADD...)I RULED THIS OUT. 3) 2/3 of the members voting wanted *NT* posts. Since there have been few *NT* posts recently, those members have left or only read without participating or responding. THIS IS MY FAVORITE!!! I JUST LIKE IT, AND WOODY'S SELF-ADMITTED, POST-NT "NARCOSIS" WOULD SEEM TO CONFIRM THE THEORY'S OPERATION, IF NOT PREVALENCE. 4) It's your imagination that the board has slowed down. WELL, THIS WAS MY INITIAL QUESTION, AND I JUST DON'T THINK SO...AND WOODY ALSO SEEMS TO SENSE A S-L-O-W-D-O-W-N. 5) Woody returned. WELL, IT'S FUNNY, IN A "DUTCH-LIKE" KIND OF WAY, BUT...C'MON NOW...LET WOODY UP ALREADY! AS WE USED TO SAY WHEN I WORKED IN NJ: "That is JUST not right!" So I like your Theory #3, a "Post NT-Debate" Flight/Abstinence. It soothes the ruffled feathers while making sense. (My satisfaction with this explanation alone is sure to generate "somethin'". Whether it's good or not, well....). Anyway, thanks. Peter

How about the theory that it's been such a mild winter that we're not using our tractors very much (i.e breaking them), and it's still too early to start mowing with them....

I'm gettin' nervous seeing my name too often...Dutch is just pushing me back into my cage where I'll feel better..X

Ah, here comes Kent the MODERATOR. The winter has been so mild that I heard that some guys were actually "plowing" snow up in Alaska. Woody, I apologize if I offended you. I was just joking. But, somehow I think it would take a lot more to push you into a cage.

Being a Studebaker fan (had five 1953 lowboy coupes) I could take exception to some of Dutch's statements. I used to love to watch Chevrolets blow up while trying to stay with me on the Interstate. But, I won' get into all that now. Regarding BigSix's question, I think he may be suffering from sensory overload after reading so many of the posts. Or, it could be Winter doldrums and lack of snow per Kent's theory. Roy

I'm fine. Just woke up grouchy today...Ineeded a realignment and everything is fine here..Woody

Roy, No argument here.... Lowey's '53 coupe and the other "Star....s" were/are beautiful cars. But, how about 3 years earlier? It's true, I never saw a Stude engine blow up. I thought it was because they always had fresh oil in them. Talk about being in the minority, I'm partial to the "White Triangle". I have 6 of these "step ups" rotting away. Perhaps one will look like this someday.

I agree with Kent about it being too mild of a winter. The day after I bought my sickle mower off e-bay, I received an e-mail from a club member to get togeather and cut a field of grass just for the heck of it. I was happy to agree. My wife has even been commenting that my tractor has been neglected this winter. What a wife hey. By the way, her favorite song is Betty wants a fast one. She likes the part where shes putting the lawn mower on two wheels around a corner. Dan By the way, I just bought a slow speed pully. Going to pull a "fast one" on her this spring.

Dutch, Studebaker started making wheel barrows then went to wagons (they made horse pulled wagons through world war 1) one of the founders wanted to go with battery powered cars at the turn of the century. They made autos in the USA till about 1966 and in Canada till about 1968. Somehow they were affiliated with the Packard corporation in the 1950's (Mercedes Benz also). Somehow they were affiliated with the Gravely corporation and I have a vacuum cleaner (shop vac) from about 1977 and it was made by Clark with a label that says Studebaker Worthington industries. I think that some of the money from Studebaker stocks and assets were made (or invested ) into other corporations after bankruptcy and after they got out of the car business. My old shop teacher from junior high school used to drive a 1964 Lark. I guess he got me in to into old Studebakers "there are just so easy to work on" he would say. I am presently a shop teacher in a middle school and I have plenty of pictures of old studes on the walls. That picture of the 2 door starliner (Raymond Loewy designed) is a beutiful car. I would give my eye tooth for a 1955 President or a 1963 GT Hawk or a 1937 1/2 ton pick-up truck.I'm glad to see there are a few studebaker fans in the audience. John H

Finest car ever---52 HUDSON HORNET 2 DOOR. 308 flathead 6 W/TWIN-H POWER & 3-speed W/overdrive. High-end workingman's car but would run the bejabbers out of the rich boys toys back then. Reliability was second to none also. I like Kent's take on the slowness. I only broke StinKy once this winter and luckily pulled off a quick-fix. Dick

Gang, Can't be too slow. It takes a long time every night just to read the new & updates posts. And, I have a cable connection. I agree, Studebakers were ahead of their time. Hang onto those Hudsons and don't let them rot down. Larks and Hornets are cool too. Roy

The Golden Hawk is one NICE automobile... my brother drove nothing but Commanders for years, and I "lusted" after the Hawks...

I'll refrain and not print what I always thought studes looked like but if you compare about a 49 stude to any new car, maybe they were just 50 years early..MPH