Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

This Club compared to Others

Dutch

In another thread, Peter (BigSix) commented on the “spirit of respect, an attempt at good humor, and tolerance for the views of others” in this club, as opposed to the “arguments, personal attacking, profanity, and mega intolerance” on some other boards. That is true. I have visited some of those other boards and know what they’re like (unbelievable). The members and leadership of this club are undoubtedly a “cut above.” That aside, because of the way Kent formatted this club we all know who the other members are. No one can hide behind anonymity (ever notice the bad guys often wear a mask or hood?). For the most part, we seem able to police ourselves. Kent has the “delete key” for profanity or other unacceptable behavior. Would the disrespect to others demonstrated on some other boards happen if those people were sitting face to face in the same room? What have other club members noticed? What are their opinions?

Just a little something I remember. Aspire not to be like someone Aspire to be someone to be like. Of all the sites I visit this is the best. Well done by all. ScottS

I never go to the group discussions and other sites that exhibit the type of behavior you describe for that very reason. My free time is for my enjoyment and I do not condone or enjoy that type of behavior. I think Kent and the other club members have done an excellent job in keeping this site civilized. Kent is to be congratulated for creating a successful club format and doing an excellent job with judicious (sp?) use of the delete key when needed. Simple Tractors is my favorite site. Roy

I only have a limited time to use the web. I don't even try other tractor sites except Yesterday's Tractors for curiosity, pictures etc of some of the old iron they show and trade. The discussions usually seem to be a bunch of friends sharing information, ideas and life's good and bad points. Peter

The best way I can put how this club feels to me is its kinda like we are a bunch of old Poker buddies who sit down each week to play cards together. We all ante up and play our hands, drawing cards or standing pat. We all raise the stakes, make our bluffs, and call each others hands, and have fun doing it. We don't cheat, and don't need to. We tend to treat each other as almost family. Mutual respect, even when in disagreement.Good jokes and good times, all without losing site of reality... No more cards for me, I'll play whats in my hand...........

When I told my brother about this sight, he genarically warned me about sharing any personal information with it over the web. I understand where he was coming from for many of the sights on the web. I told him that Simpletractors was different. The people who frequent this sight are all good folks. This sights both fun and interesting. I cant wait till I get a scanner and a digital camera. I want to show my babies in the garage. i.e. my tractors. My dad has so much Allis info that I will offer to post here. Special inner company memos of tractor defect in design, unfortunately there was many. files and more files, things of interest like an option for turning the b-series into a two or four seat golf cart. They used to have it at their course in New Berlin. My dad used to golf with the "big wigs". I recall him commenting about, "there the ones that are too top heavy and driving the company down". Guess he was right. He even lost a promotion because he didnt want to grease any palms. Guess I'm ramblin. Just feeling at home I guess. Dan

This club cannot be compared to others. This club is a quantum leap above all else. All others are forced to compare themselves to the S & AC GT Club. There is no comparison. If that ain't Huffy enough we'll all claim royalty and sovereignty, susceed, then ... Well, anyway we're just plain the best. Stan

I GET ON THE web to look at tractor related websites and there is none that has the knowledge and people who go out of their way to help you then this website.KENT AND ALL OF US WHO BELONG to this club have something to be proud of we are what makes this club what it is. I AM BLOWN AWAY at how many people like allis chalmers and simplicity lawn tractors. I am not along on this that is for sure. I have a thing for allis chalmers since i was very young and it is great to see so many people collect this orange equipment.THERE IS SO MUCH TO BE LEARNED ON HERE AND THAT IS WHY I AM PROUD TO SAY I AM A member of SIMPLETRACTORS. I LIKE TO hear the stories and see the restoration of these tractors and equipment.IT is totalily alwsome to see that there are people like me who breath orange. ANYTIME I CAN help someone on here by answering a ? about allis chalmers i am doing serving my purpose .I LOVE THIS great website and love to see orange.SOME 0F YOU who have talked to me know how i feel about AC and Simplicity and i am proud to say i have met some super nice people like JACK COBB and brent baumer and DAN peoplemen who like this stuff as much as i do.we all have to thank KENT FOR a great job and for having all of uson this website.THERE IS NONE THAT BEATS THIS website. AGCO918 CHAD E SHAFER

Kent: I couldn't help but notice that part of your "Honor Principle and Individual Behavior" text, specifically the "Simply stated, we expect people who use this site to treat others the same way that they would like to be treated..." part, seems to be an accurate paraphrase of "The Golden Rule," which I learned approx. 34 years ago, in 1st Grade. As I learned it, it goes "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you." I wanted to ask you if that was consciously in your mind when drafting your policies (actually, whether you drafted them or copied them, it doesn't matter) or whether it was something you were not consciously aware of, and it just "crept in" to your philosophy for the site? The reason I ask is I've found that a disturbing number of adults (into which I would "loosely" include most politicians) are somehow (for them) blissfully unaware that there might be an objective standard out there that they could use to examine their actions, or that others WILL use to analyze them. Suddenly, upon (forced) reflection, they realize "OMG, what I did DOES suck!" Whether they are sincerely ignorant of the Golden Rule or not is another question, and it prompted my query to you, as I sometimes feel that The Golden Rule is a new concept for too many Americans.... So it was refreshing, yet not suprising, to see it embedded, IMHO, in the procedures of your website/our club. Peter

Peter, I have to "fess us" and say that I have a BA in Religious Education from a school about 12 miles down the road from club member Roy Pope. I took many theology, comparative religion and philosophy courses there, in addition to education and psych courses.... I used the paraphrased version of the "Golden Rule" because I've found it to be one of the (if not THE) most universal principles of all religions and the civilizations (i.e. civilized behavior) based upon them. It's the closest thing to a "universal truth" that I know of, and offensive to no one that I've ever met... though not all people follow it! Too bad we can't teach it in school any more.... people would think we're trying to teach Christianity or something (though it dates back at least to the ancient Babylonian empire of about 800-1000 BC), much like they think "In God We Trust" tries to specify whose particular "god" that the phrase refers to.... If people would study their history, they'd find that Thomas Jefferson (author of the Declaration of Independence and much of the Constitution) was NOT a Christian (he was a Deist), but certainly believed in God, as did all our founding fathers that we know of.... I'm getting too far off the subject and into too sensitive an area -- the things that tractors bring us to talk about! ;<) Kent

I have 2 automated messages that are sent to members on my Yahoo Groups site. This is the Greeting Message: Welcome to Forward Control. I'm making this first message a greeting to all who find this group. All should have a good time here. Treat others as you would have others treat you. If you are angered by someone, contact outside of this venue would be appreciated. If posting photos please keep the resolution down to conserve space on the server, the space is limited. We have space for files which I may restrict at first. I expect that space to be used for technical information, templates to greet or say goodbye to members, and other IMPORTANT info. Enough said, have a good time. Thank you for joining, Founder and Moderator, Woody Del Mar It's not as eloquent as Kent's phrasing but I believe in his sentiments and would like to thank Kent for his ideas...Woody

It's easy to misrepresent yourself on the internet. That's why I think those chat rooms are so popular. People who arent happy with being themselves can be whoever they want on the premise of "they'll never know". Conduct on the internet has to be one the ultimate tests of a person's attitude toward others. This club is so very "real" it defys explaining. The only way I can is by example such as Woody,Herb,Marty,Dave,Roy,Smilinsam,HappyJack. Ya know I could go on & on but I think I've made my point. Dick

Herb is "right on." In the early days on Yahoo, we had a couple of examples of "anonymous flaming" and inappropriate language. Those things are inherent weaknesses of an open, public forum. So, when I set this one up, I made it a requirement that everyone expose their true identity to try preventing that, and to facilitate "trust." Here's a direct "copy/paste" from the Privacy and Policy page: Honor Principle and Individual Behavior In addition to concerns about personal privacy, we also have standards of behavior for club membership. Simply stated, we expect people who use this site to treat others the same way that they would like to be treated. The club is based upon honesty, openness, sharing and trust. We expect every club member to be able to trust another club member (within reason, of course). 1. We expect that any items advertised for sale will be represented truthfully, and that all "deals" will be consummated as agreed to by both parties involved. 2. Dishonest dealings will not be tolerated. 3. Flaming or abusive language will not be tolerated. 4. Members must disclose their true identity. 5. Please bring any incidents to the attention of the Webmaster for resolution. 6. Violators can and will be deleted from club membership rolls! It seems to have worked, for the most part... I've had to step in only a very few times..... [A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/privacy.htm']http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/privacy.htm[/a]

I have appreciated the fact that no matter at what level one is at in this "tractor game" (amateur/rookie, or profesional/expierienced), when questions are asked...people won't run you down no matter how 'simple' the question may be. Around here there is no "stupid question", just the one that wasn't asked. Also, the wealth of expierence on this site is nearly overwhelming. Makes one wish we were all neighbors. Lets hope this site goes on for a long time....along with all of our tractors. SimpleMan

Peter, I don't know of any family connection from CT/New England area but I'm sure if I dug long enough there has to be one. There are only about 26,000 Popes in the USA. Originally from England. I just got a family tree book tracing our roots back to the 1500's from my sister. Haven't looked at it much but will to see if any Popes were in CT. Roy

Kent: What you say makes a lot of sense to me, and obviously to Woody, and if I HAD a Forward Control Jeep, I'd know where to go--looks good, Woody! Actually, not to get to far into the religious end of things, I am not overly religious, but I remember my surprise when a friend opened my eyes to the fact that the Golden Rule IS a very Christian concept. I never really thought about it as being religious at all, and obviously it is, going back even further, as you point out. I just thought it was very moral, I guess, for lack of a better word. I was surprised to learn of Roy Pope's involvement in religion, in that a friend of mine, on the island where I go in the St. Lawrence River (in the "Thousand Islands" are of NYS) is also named Pope. Her father was allegedly a religious scholar of some note, having written or edited or published book(s) under his name, only the last of which I can remember (Pope). As she's in her 50's now(oops!), this would be some time ago when he published. Roy, is there any connection here? I believe the family hailed from CT, but I could be wrong. Peter

Kent, IMO, its that getting off tractors that happen in posts about tractors on this site that help glue us together. The good seed you sowed when you planted this site are growing well, course they get a little shot of nitrogen now and then..Please keep on keepin on..MPH