Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My girl...bless her heart!

fishnwiz

My awesome girl, bless her sole knew I was out cold after working 14hrs straight last night decided to do me a favor and pulled the Toro blower out to clear the driveway. 

I had given her instructions many times on the use of the blower but of course she forgot the MOST important thing....that was to USE THE CAN MARKED TORO 50 to one!!

Guess you can guess why the mower quit running and will no longer start.O.o

• Like 1

She asked me why I was not yelling at her about it..How could I when this was the 1st time she used the blower without me asking her to help out.

I could really care less except for the fact that it's a bad time to be looking for a bargin on Craigslist. Guess I will need to drag on of my spares out of the storage shed.

That has happened to our lawn boy mower where I work. Locked her up but good. I took the plug out and sprayed jb80 in there. Like a bunch and had to yank the blade around to free it up. Works fine and still mowing with it. Guess you can't hurt it any worse. Give it a try, tho not sure how to spin the motor loose on a snowblower.

Harry

Motor seems to have lost all compression due to excessive heat and wear.

These blowers are fairly inexpensive in my area and are not worth my time and effort to try to repair.

I will pull the electric start out of the unit and sell it for around 30.00.

I take a large black permanent marker and write on the gas tank of my 2-cycle equipment (if the gas tank is opaque white plastic) 50:1 or similar. I also have it written on my 1 gallon 2-cycle red gas can. Not 100% wife proof - she is a blonde.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2016 at 0:13 AM, fishnwiz said:

... Guess I will need to drag on of my spares out of the storage shed.

That's why I have 4 snowblowers.  Was trying a new-to-me walk-behind and after 10 minutes it started to sputter.  After another 3 or 4 it stopped.  No time to mess with it, so next machine up.  Can't have too many extras when running old equipment. dOd

• Like 1

She probably feels worse than you do! My wife would help me mow and many times I would come home and find my 9020 in the front yard half finished, I finally convinced her that although I appreciated her wanting to help but "Max" did not like her and  only liked me!

• Like 1

Actually I am happy with anything my girl helps me out with as I know I am kind of demanding when it comes to straight lines and nice stripes when it comes to cutting grass.

If I can get her to help out with snow it's a bonus! 

• Like 1

Reminds me of the time my new bride (37 years ago!) was so happy to tell me about cleaning the weeds out of the cracks between the sidewalk. I asked her what she used.

My big screwdriver.

She hadn't noticed that as she was progressing on the weeds that the screwdriver was wearing down to a round end! At first I was a bit upset, but the look on her face was enough for me to point out the GOOD side: I had two of those screwdrivers, so no big deal.

• Like 1

Gary you must have a awful long walk or a heck of a weed problem for her to round a screwdriver. 666

I'ld be lost without my girl, god love her each and every time she helps me. dOd

• Like 1

We all made mistakes. It's great that she wanted to help! You could pull cylinder off and see what it looks like?  Had a leaf blower that brother in law borrowed and did same thing!  We unstuck it and took cylinder off, found piston rings stuck, no compression to run. Unstuck them horned a little. Put back together and still using it today!

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 7:41 AM, 720nut said:

Gary you must have a awful long walk or a heck of a weed problem for her to round a screwdriver. 666

I'ld be lost without my girl, god love her each and every time she helps me. dOd

It does not take long to round off a screwdriver with good OLD concrete sidewalks!

• Like 1

I have been married for 43 years to the greatest lady in the world.  About 25 years ago she decided to cut the grass for me.  We were living in the country at the time on 23 acres, with about 5 acres to mow.  I had a crapsman 18 hp mower, briggs engine.  she did great until time to gas it up.  She didn't realize a blue can might be different.  It ran for a bit, then smoked like crazy and stopped.  When I came home, she was expecting me to get really upset.  As we walked toward the mower, I smelled the kerosene.  I started to laugh like crazy, and she thought I really was crazy.  I was picturing her watching it smoking more and more and trying to figure out why in my head, and it was hilarious.  I drained and refilled the tank and got it running.  that mower ran until just a year or so ago, the guy I sold it to said it finally died.  I think it lasted that long because of the total lubrication it got from the kerosene drenching it got.  We still laugh over that one once in a while!

• Like 2

I once watched a guy fill a 30gal built-in tank in a boat with diesel gas all the while his 250 Merc four stroke motor starring him in the face.

I was wondering where the strong smell of weed was coming from? Not that the weed had anything to do with it mind you. O.o

• Like 1

My wife in her younger day took out the tractor to snow blow the driveway when I was on a trip.  She had so much fun that after she did the neighbors driveway with pride.  Problem was she never looked at the fuel gauge and ran out of gas.  Came home to the tractor sitting half way back to the garage next to the snow bank.  she couldn't get it running after she re-filled it but was still proud of her efforts as she saved us $30 for not having someone plow the driveway.

• Like 2

I was given a Kawasaki KZ1000 motorcycle in 2003. They had tried to fire it up at one family reunion, but it wouldn't start, even after they put fresh gas in it.  When I went to pick it up, it hadn't run for a couple years, engine was stuck.  Got it home, engine loosened up real easy.  Pulled the carbs, expecting them to be totally gunked up with varnish.  Clean as a whistle, just a couple stuck slides! Hmmm . . .
Drained the gas tank, then realized two things:
-Why it didn't start.
-Why the carbs were not varnished up.
They had filled it with kerosene!
Had it running two days after I got it home.
Great bike, too bad I didn't have the time or money to fix it up like I'd like to.  In a weak moment, surrounded by stress from my job, I let it go. :(

Edited by Hick
  • Like 1