Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Guess I'm done blowing snow for the winter!-Maybe Not!

macallis180

Well, after the crankbolt came loose on the new stubshaft for my new mini alternator, and ground its way into the battery, and the pulley threw battery acid all over the alternator, clutch, etc. under the hood ('course I didn't know this til I went out Sat. to start to blow, and battery was dead. I have a soft cab on, so must remove some bolts to get hood open) Had some charitable committments earlier in the day, so late Saturday,I got a new bolt, got a new battery, new lockwasher, new locktite, and reassembled. It was 11 degrees out, so just turned engine over without starting to make sure I was connected, and went in the house to warm up. 

Was going to go out to blow today, and guess the battery acid fried the front pto clutch.  I have power to the wire for the clutch, past the connector, so it must be in the clutch itself.  Clutch was working fine before.

Oh, brother.  Maybe wife is correct - says I should sell ALL my old tractors and  equipment so I can get some cash, and get 1 new small compact to have something reliable.

Edited by macallis180
good ending.
  • Like 1

We all love our old tractors, but there certainly is a good argument that can be made for buying a new(er) high-reliability piece of equipment. This is especially for snow removal where you cannot always wait till the next day, which you can get away with for grass cutting!

Just like old cars ... lots of fun but you better also have a good one to make sure you get to work on time!

Good luck! Tom

• Like 2

Merle really sorry to hear, just like mine I sold the 620 with intentions of doing just that and ended up doing a bunch of stuff to the house.

Today finally got a little warmer and decided I'ld work on my snow blower, needed tractor turned around so I could work and of course it won't start.

Did get the holes drilled for the motor, had to bore the bushing out about .070 so gear on new motor will fit.

I've been all day thinking sell it all and buy new Kubota with loader, but I'm also thinking were would I fine people that would want to buy?

My day was by no means as bad as yours but I definitely know how you feel.

• Like 1

I was so disgusted that I had to walk away, and go in the house and wrap presents for a while. Finally figured I'd go give it one last checkover before I parked it for the rest of the winter. AND HOORAY - I found one battery acid corroded terminal near the bottom of the engine, so new terminal, and FIXED!!!!

Also took some thin aluminum sheeting and made rough looking deflectors that cover the plugs and mounted them to the 2 bolts that hold the side head tin. When the snow was being blown back into the hood/engine area, I would get a miss for some time until it got rid of the moisture, then ran ok.  Already have some foam sheet on the grill. If this doesn't do the  trick, I will make another shield that will cover the points area on the engine.

HOORAY - guess i'll get at least another storm's havoc with my new blower!    LOL!

• Like 1

I agree with all about the old iron. Since 1981 I have mowed with older equipment (about 2 acres). In 1983 I bought a 9020 at auction and used it for mowing and snow removal for closed to 30 years, don't get me wrong it is still a great running outfit yet but was getting fussy about starting which I fixed thanks to advice from D-17 Dave. I am 58 yrs old and have never purchased a new mower, till this spring. I purchased a new Hustler zero turn with a 60" deck. It is so nice to come home from work and start the mower and mow and be done in half the time with no drama and bad words at having to fiddle with stuff for an hour just to mow! I still love the old stuff but it is what it should be an enjoyable hobby not a stress to get the yard mowed. I still till my and my neighbor garden with my 720 and used my 7790 for leaf vacuuming. I have several old tractors from early 700" simplicity up to 3112h and AC B-10's B-12 B-112 Big Ten and a nice Wards squire 10. I also have an additional 720 and 620 that I bought for spare parts and to  play with the possibility of Kubota powering one just for the challenge.

• Like 1

Merle glad ya got it going again dOd

I have lawn business so new running mowers are a must, I use 38hp Exmarks.

Use 720 to do garden work and some small landscape jobs. Like I said 620 had loader and sold it to buy a Kubota but didn't so miss it

Scott guess we all want a diesel been gathering parts for last couple years, maybe get started this summer.

• Like 1

"Just like old cars ... lots of fun but you better also have a good one to make sure you get to work on time! "

Actually, I look at this differently: I have an OLD reliable car to get to work when the NEW WBT (Whiz-Bang Technology) car won't start because of a gremlin in the (one of many) computers!!!

• Like 2

Well finally got my spout to rotate on it's own. Trip to Graingers in Ann Arbor for a switch only place here that has the momentary DPDT switch, less than $20

DSCN1172.JPG

• Like 1

Well, its not snowing yet in Central WI., and you have the parts, so you have time to get everything working properly before the next storm that heads toward MI!  LOL!

• Like 1