Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snow plow to grader conversion

Vagabond

Wondered if anyone has heard of converting a snow plow frame and blade into a center mount grader implement. I have two complete AC trip plows, and one blade is badly rotted at the bottom, but the top half+ is fine. Much of the plow frame looks similar to that of the grader in the photo's I've seen, but I don't have the grader frame dimensions to compare.  Anyone done this?

The hitch frame from the "economy" manual angle dozer blade is easily modified for a grader blade. Haven't heard of anyone doing it with the spring-trip blades..

• Like 1

They use a cutting edge not sure what there off of but can measure mine later today.

A few years back I modified a early plow frame and built one for a B 112 I had at the time, sorry no pictures as this was before I became a member.

1 hour ago, Bill725 said:

Don't think the height of a snow plow will fit under the tractor without modification. Grader blades are on Craigslist for $100-$200.

They won't -- he'll have to cut the blade down, or fabricate one. I was talking specifically about the hitch.

Blade cutting edge is 42 in. long x 7.750 high, curved blade so have a feeling it was made just for this purpose have not seen it used on any other equipment.

hitch on mine is 22 in. mount pins to blade pivot. Here's couple pictures. 

DSCN1140.JPG

DSCN1139.JPG

DSCN1138.JPG

• Like 1

I get 22.5 inches from mount to blade pivot on the tip plow frame. The plow blade is almost exactly 7.75 inches from top edge to the top of the center back brace.  And it is 46 inches long.

The biggest difference in the blade (besides it's overall size) looks like the gauge of the steel. The grader blade looks to be significantly heavier. 

15 hours ago, Kent said:

The hitch frame from the "economy" manual angle dozer blade is easily modified for a grader blade. Haven't heard of anyone doing it with the spring-trip blades..

As Ken stated the hitch frame is the same, less the lift arm.  But the "deluxe" trip blade frame is much longer and the blade pivot is completely different.   You would be better off to trade for the manual blade hitch frame

My hitch frame is about the same length as that posted by 720nut. I can see that the plow mount end is very different, and I agree with your conclusion. I'd much rather the other hitch. 

The grader blade is indeed much thicker steel than the regular plow or dozer blades. Would the cut-down dozer blade work as a grader? It all depends on what you want to do with it. 

Also, I think it would be very easy to simply shorten the dozer blade hitch. However, it might be a chore to get the attachment point centered on the blade. Unless you are prepared for a long dayof cutting and welding, it would likely to cheaper just to buy one. I think Lloyd (720 nut) just got his,and we all know that he only buys things that are a good deal!

Tom

Edited by TomSchmit
format better
  • Like 1

Hey Tom ya make me sound cheap&:) LOL. I bought this one off ebay paid $167.50 for it . Had Yukon pick it up for me , a good reason to make a new friend.

Josh has a nice one for sale, which by the time you get everything together and welded it would be much cheaper to buy,

I've been blessed with the ability to build anything I've wanted no matter how complicated it may be.

If I remember correctly years ago "Dutch" was doing pretty much what you want to do? I think he was even selling the blades. Not sure what happened to him. Kent should know.

That heavy gauge steel must be a for weight and durability. There is no add-on cutting edge. The blade appears ground at the edge, and probably can be re-ground as needed. I think the snow blade would suffice for grading topsoil, but would not hold up well to rocks and gravel.

4 hours ago, Scott Salmons said:

If I remember correctly years ago "Dutch" was doing pretty much what you want to do? I think he was even selling the blades. Not sure what happened to him. Kent should know.

Dutch actually had brand  new blades forged, serrated on one cutting edge.  I have one of them, and Reed Savary modified a dozer hitch for it. Sadly, Dutch died not long after having the second batch (of 100, I think) made. I'm not sure who he was getting to forge the blades...

Couple of weeks ago on Craigs List I saw what could have been the big brother to Dutch's blades.  72" long looked like the same curve and notch pattern.  So someone out there makes them?, just maybe the length was custom.

52 minutes ago, GregB said:

Couple of weeks ago on Craigs List I saw what could have been the big brother to Dutch's blades.  72" long looked like the same curve and notch pattern.  So someone out there makes them?, just maybe the length was custom.

Would be perfect, need one on my 720 dOd

I think Dutch had other lengths made - perhaps 5' and 6' - and sold them elsewhere.  So, it may have been one of those.  He was certainly an enterprising old Dutchman, and a unique individual.