Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

electric lift 712/h

have a problem with my electric lift. i was useing it sunday with my johny bucket to move snow when the lift quit working. it stil makes noise sounds like a starter solenoid when the battery is dead. any help would be great thanks.

Mike, The electric lifts make that noise when they reach the end of their "stroke". Does yours make that noise with the switch in either direction or just one? If in just one, maybe the switch is bad, or the lift motor is struck and won't reverse. Time to get out the test light and check your circuits and connections.

I was about to say the same as Dutch. Yesterday I had the same problem with a customer's 912. After a little checking, I only had power only on the down stroke. If you don't have a test light or volt meter, go underneath the tractor, unplug the wires from the lift and reverse them. Try the lift again. If the unit moves, you have the same problem as I did. The switch is bad. I couldn't get one locally, so I disassembled the switch, cleaned the contacts and reassembled it. Works fine now. Pat

I have never had a bad lift yet, suprisingly. Its always been the switch. Like Pat, I have them rebuilt because I cannot find any suppliers for new ones.

Sam, If you have access to a used TV dish linear actuator, check it out. They can usually be picked up for free, or real cheap. Those motors look like they may work (I've never tried it). Most are 36 VDC, but I have used higher rated motors on 12 VDC successfully in other applications.

I am experimenting with that very thing now. The actuator I am experimenting with has a plastic ACME nut on the threads. This stripped out on the dish. I replaced it with a steel nut, and am installed a grease fitting. One benefit (I believe) to the actuator, is that it has an adjustable cut of switch, rather than a slip clutch, to stop the motor at the end of the stroke. Have to double check, but I believe my actuator is 12VDC. Pat

Luckily I have a spare lift for my 314. Both of them are working ok, but hope to get a hydraulic conversion soon. Dick