Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What does OBO mean?

Dutch

I've run into that too...so if you are the Seller it means the best price over the asking price if there are multiple offers. A seller isn't sure what it is worth and lists it too low so several offers come in at once some saying they will pay more. This allows the seller to take the highest price not the first one with the asking price. Of course, this only works if there are multiple offers at the same time...which would happen if an item is listed too low. If you are the Buyer it means the asking price or anything less. So if it is listed at $100 and you offer $20 and that is the best offer then you get it. So I guess it depends on your perspective..Buyer or Seller. Ken W

I've never understood "OBO" to mean anything except "$X or less," so I was surprised to learn of this creative (IMHO) use of the term. I too would be perturbed to learn the seller was using this term to essentially mask the fact that they were conducting an auction. I'm originally from upstate NY, but now live about 25 mi. north of NYC. I think you're being charitable, Dutch, in describing this as possibly a "regional" thing. I might not be so kind in my characterization of this usage, had I driven hundreds of miles to learn this "new definition" of OBO.

Dutch, Unless one is at an auction why would you pay more than the asking price? In this neck of the woods OBO is something less than the asking price. $20 on a $100 item might not make it but I'd surely ask "have you refused $50 yet?" as an opener on a $100 item. My opinion. Ron

Hey Dutch, I think the guy was trying to do to you what woody said. He probably figured if you were willing to drive that far for a piece of equipment he could drill you for more money once you got there. He was thinking that you wanted it and would not go home empty handed. There are alot of words for people who deal in this manner, none good. No matter where you live, it is dishonest! My two cents Neal Pierce Neal Pierce

I know that OBO stands for "Or Best Offer", but what does that mean? Around here, if someone says they'll take $100 OBO, that means $100 or LESS. I have traveled hundreds of miles willing to pay the asking price, only to be told by the seller that OBO means $100 or MORE. The seller wants to wait and see if any HIGHER offers are made. This has happened to me more than once (after believing the seller and I had a clear understanding over the phone). This has annoyed me for quite some time. The recent eBay threads prompted me to ask, is OBO a regional thing? What does OBO mean to you?

Around here (east central IN), $100 obo means $100 or less, or more accurately, the first sucker.....er guy with a reasonable amount of cash in hand gets it. I haven't run across anyone here who listed something as "obo" that actually took bids and waited until he had no more offers and then chose the "best" one......Brent

Dutch, I've never heard of OBO meaning anything but less than the asking price here in Oregon or anyplace else that I've lived. I'd be really upset if I was willing to pay the asking price and was told that he was waiting for the best offer over the asking price. Sven