Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor slow in gear

davidmoll

My 6216 was real sluggish in all gears this morning.  I also have a variable speed drive throttle which was up as high as it could go.  Only when I pulled back on the clutch/brake pedal did the speed increase but still felt like it was slower than usual.  Thinking the spring return on the clutch/brake pedal is worn out for starters.  Any other ideas.  Did not have time to investigate.  Work, work, work.

Thanks Dave

• Like 1

Don't know if that unit has a clutch shaft bushing, but my B-110 that I bought late this year has a worn bushing, so sometimes I have to pull clutch back to get full belt engagement.  Return spring is good, but bushing/shaft is my problem.  Belt could also be worn as 720nut mentioned.

• Like 1

I investigated  the problem on Saturday and the drive belt was off the pulling and was only driving the tractor on the shaft.  Belt looks worn so I am getting a new one.  Thanks for the replies.

Dave

Also, don't forget to occasionally clean and relube the variable speed pulley assembly.  The moving parts of that assembly must slide freely for it to work right.  Having to pull back on the pedal could mean that it is sticking a bit.  The book will give cleaning and lubing instructions.  It needs to be wiped clean and a light coat of oil applied to the shaft, then wipe off the pulley faces so no oil gets on the belt.  Also, it needs to be adjusted properly.  The directions for that are in the book also.

Steve

I investigated  the problem on Saturday and the drive belt was off the pulling and was only driving the tractor on the shaft.  Belt looks worn so I am getting a new one.  Steve, will lube aqnd adjust as I have done that  in the past. Thanks for the replies guys.

Dave