Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Possible paint petition

SimpleMan

If I can remember the gray was only used 2years on agco allis 97-98 I think. The have gone back to black frames and attachments now. Makes a guy think mabey gray was'nt to good of a color.

It was used on my 1999 agco918 . I fill the tractor should be repainted. WE spend all this money on these tractors to have paint flake off in sheets. MY agco 918 gets the rearend repainted every spring because of this problem. I HAVENEVERused water on my tractor to clean it and using air does what you are talking about on your tractor.THE ORANGE ISNT ANY BETTER AS far as i am concerned because it bubbles in spots on my agco918 1999 model.I AM GLAD THERE are more people coming forward on this issue because it makes me mad to say the least on quality control period. MY TRACTOR must have be put together on the weekend when people were out partying because the way it was done there is no excuse for it.I HAVE BEEN ON THE phone on other problems but should have said something on this paint issue.THE PROBLEM IS THERE SHOULD be lemon laws on lawn tractors like on automobiles because my agco918 would have been replaced by now because of some of the stupid things that was done from the factory. I TAKE CARE OF MY agco918 better than alot of people take care of their cars and it makes me mad to hear the same things that i have had trouble with over and over on here but nobody wants to do anything about it from the factory stand point. agco918 chad e shafer

The only paint problem I have so far is with my not yet 2 year old Sovereign is the paint is peeling off in large sections on both the bottom and now the top (worse on bottom) on the 48" mower deck housing. I believe the paint peeling is from incorrect or insufficient cleaning of the forming oil used to form the housing, preventing the paint from adhering. I have talked to a local coatings company and we are going to sandblast the deck housing, then heat the housing to 700 degrees to burn off any contaminants and residue, then coat the housing with a thermoplastic. I will let you all know how it works out.

Ya know guy's, Simplicity has the crapiest quality control I have ever seen, when I visited the factory, they only reset the tools ONCE A YEAR I was really upset about that, but customer support on their part is strong,-BradW

I realize that many members on this site have an attachment to the older model simplicity/allis built products. However, there are some of us who (for varying reasons) drive the newer units made by Simplicity. I happen to be one of the later. This is a question for anyone who owns a "newer" Simplicity built unit. I have been more than a little concerned about the followig problem...the lack of paint adhesion to anything that is painted gray on my 1998 Sovereign. It would not be anything that I would worry about, if the paint was chipping because of use...that to me is very normal. However, when one can flake the paint off in sheets and it strips down to bare metal...it has me concerned. What I would like to see is Simplicty admitting to the fact that there was a paint adhesion problem, and at least offer some kind of compensation. This topic has been posted previously, (just havn't found it yet). At that time I was suggesting a "petition" to send to Simplicity. Going to the dealer on a one at a time basis does not seem to make any difference. I have thought of touch-up paint, but am concerned that once I start scraping the flaking paint...that I'll be repainting the entire frame. My second thought (last ditch effort) would be to strip down the entire tractor, and have everything powder coated. This however, should be entirely unneccessary if things were done properly in the first place. Here's the deal...anyone who has expierienced this problem with their units, (or has heard, or is aware of such) please reply, along with a suggestion to a possible solution. I would hate to see Simplicity losing any kind of market share because of a simple quality issue. Or a lack of acknowledgement when there is one. Thanks everyone...for your help AND patience. simplman GordU

Gord, This problem was discussed before. I have a '96 Sovereign that was doing the same thing. You will have to repaint the entire frame (at least both rear plates). I'm not the original owner, so I doubt I'd have any "standing". If I did, I would have contacted Simplicity long ago. Did you? What were you told? With your '98, you're running out of time fast. Don't sit on whatever recourse you may have. Like I stated in a similar thread recently, there's nothing like "self help". I think a petition would be useless. Just my opinion.

Little things like paint peeling are why the Japanese are killing us in manufacturing and sales. Look how long GM sold cars with defective paint. Don't know if the paint is peeling on my new Sovereign or not but I haven't looked. Roy

Have a 97 anniv ed Sovereign. Seeing the same thing with the gray paint peeling away in a few spots in the lower rear areas though not as bad (so far) as some described above. Was able to buy some gray touchup paint (spray can) from the dealer but the the anniv. blue (no problem so far) was out of manufacture. Have used air most of the time with a "bath" maybe once/twice a year if really needed so the paint peeling is a little disheartening.