Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Steering modifications

AdamF

I have a 7013S Baron(which is now a 7016H-16hpB&S,Sunstrand Hydro) that I find that is fairly difficult to steer whenever the mower deck, etc are mounted. Everything is lubed and ingood condition. I was wondering if there was a way i could add power steering or modify it so it would turn easier and what it would take to do this. And would it be cost effective? My wife has threatened to kill me severel times since I dragged this thing home 2 years ago. She seems to think a new dept store piece of crap would be better than this old heap.... but it goes in one ear and out the other. You know how wives are.

AdamF

Adam, Start digging the hole! That's about a 600 buck option last time I checked!What wife wouldn't LOVE that! What I found what works cheaply is to merely put the narrow B-110 tires on the front axle ,not only will it steer easier it will turn in a tighter circle! Them darn wide tires look good but don't steer or handlelike the narrow 4.00/4.80X8 diamond type tread do.When the deck or snowblower is on you've got an 800+ pound monster to manhandle around. You will have to get however the narrower 4" rims too and 2 axle spacers but that's a lot cheaper fix and it does make a big ifference! Happy Shopping! dlc

You can also try raising the tire pressure - 20psi is easier to turn then 5psi but will give you a bumpier ride - try experimenting with it a little. Also make sure you have an accurate tire gauge - a low pressure 0-20 pound (NAPA) is ideal. Other than that you could trade it in on a new Soverign already equipped with PS - then your wife would have a nice shiny new tractor and you would have your power steering - problem solved - and DLC would be glad to "loan" you the money! - right DLC? :)

Well, I've already got a B-10 parts tractor, so I'll try that. Good idea too.It also makes a lot of sense since I need to replace the old dryrotted tires anyway! Now about that loan......

AdamF