Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Smaller shoes for my 620

Talntedmrgreen

My 620 steers horrible, especially with any implements on the back. I really like the look of narrow front and they've helped me with steering on my smaller tractors, so I wanted to give that a try on this machine.

Unfortunately, finding the rims is difficult or very expensive and tires arent giveaways either. I shopped around and ended up into New Old Stock Firestone tri ribs which I like quite a bit more than the Chinese rubber... $80, to my door. I nabbed a pair of rims from a cub Farmall off eBay and they even arrived sandblasted... $52 shipped.

This weekend I found time to give them a coat of Canvas White and did the dismount and remount of the tires.  Looking forward to a test run.  If they steer half as good as they look, Ill be buried with this tractor ;)

2017-01-02 11.58.25.jpg2017-01-02 11.59.13.jpg

2017-01-02 11.59.52.jpg

2017-01-02 12.00.30.jpg

2017-01-02 12.01.34.jpg

2017-01-02 12.01.15.jpg

2017-01-02 12.02.03.jpg

• Like 5

Will likely be like power steering, in comparison to those wide turfs on the front...

Steering will be greatly improved in both dirt and snow. Only downside is that they may leave marks on soft, wet lawns....

• Like 1

They will definitely leave marks. I've got a set of 8in. for mine that I use every now and then ,just like power steering.

I'ld love to find 12 in for mine

• Like 1

Well... About 30 minutes and it was Junior it rides like it's on Rails! Definitely a keeper setup.

20170102_141329.jpg

20170102_145757.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good Josh, the little guy is sure having fun.  They are great tractors not matter what age the driver.  Love the "paint booth"  my wife would draw the line there sm02  What's up with the aluminum angle on the sides of the top chassis cover?  Oh and are your fronts now tubed or tubeless?

Edited by isetta

7 minutes ago, isetta said:

Looking good Josh, the little guy is sure having fun.  They are great tractors not matter what age the driver.  Love the "paint booth"  my wife would draw the line there sm02  What's up with the aluminum angle on the sides of the top chassis cover?

Yeah I didn't do any painting inside...waited till I could touch the paint, and them brought them in so they could get nice and hard before mounting tires.  

The PO added the angle, using the existing mounting screws, so he could set things there and have them not fall off.  So far, as long as I'm not maneuvering on slopes, it hold a coffee cup (or beer) and cell phone. ;)  Works real nice, actually.  I cut a thin rubber mat section to help save the paint, but had taken if off to blow down the tractor after leaf duty and misplaced it...

7 minutes ago, 720nut said:

You do realize 1 tractor and 3 boys, I know you have all the others but they'll all want the big tractor.

dad is bigger = bigger tractor

6 minutes ago, isetta said:

Are those tri rib fronts tubed or tubeless?

They came with Firestone tubes inside, so I retained those.  Knowing that helped my decision to bargain shop for Cub rims.  These had some pitting on them, as though they had been filled, and then the guy sandblasted them, so I'm sure that didn't help.  50/50 on whether they would hold a bead, so I'm happy with the tubes.  

I know my Deestone triribs on the smaller tractors also came with tubes, new.  Maybe Implement style tires usually do?

2 minutes ago, spi said:

WOW !

I Never thought of using the shower for a paint booth. Good thinkin!

Wet it down first...then you can just rinse the overspray away when you're done!  Most bathrooms already have an exhaust fan, so this is a no brainer for guys like us :) (y)

• Like 1

Wow you guys are smooth, my wife would not go for any of that.  De-icing the gearbox on a Powermax with her hair dryer is about all I can do

19 minutes ago, isetta said:

Wow you guys are smooth, my wife would not go for any of that.  De-icing the gearbox on a Powermax with her hair dryer is about all I can do

Momma fixed that problem here last Christmas.412K48233ZL.jpg

1 hour ago, Scott Salmons said:

Should have powder coated in the bathroom then bake in the kitchen oven!!

I once baked a set of hood hinges from a 65 tbird convertible in my mom's oven when I was younger. Obviously she was not home at the time but it sure did stink up the house and made the lasagna dinner a few nights later taste like paint.O.o

Needless to say...that never happened again.

Edited by fishnwiz

Afraid you'll have to take a rain check no funds for something like that right now.

Josh sent you PM

Matter of fact I've never got around to trying the gun I bought last year, still sitting on top of cupboard.